Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Where am I stored?

Is there a crib for new players explaining what profile changes are stored on the local workstation and which are stored on the lounge itself?

It has finally dawnwed on me that by being logged on both at home and at work ("You should have no problems logging in from multiple locations - plenty of folk do." (<post:=118,457>post 118,457</post:> ) and adjusting some settings at work I might screw up what everything looks like at home.

A setting such as email-notification address doesn't need to change for me, because I want every notification to reach me at home, but what about number-of-lines-displayed and such like. At work it is IE6 whereas at home Firefox-something; at work it is an HP1730 monitor whereas at home it is an (Asus?).
    I'm inclined to make my lounge browsing as efficienty at possible at work due to the slow speed of connection & network, but I don't want to set a vibration going that will ruin my enjoyment of what few hours of the day are left to me at home.

Thanks in advance for any tips, links to threads etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where am I stored?

Wait for an Admin to confirm this, Chris, but I am pretty sure that ALL profile information is stored in the Lounge's databases and NOT on a local computer. Then, one might ask, what about local cookies placed on the machine by the Lounge? Again, I'm pretty sure they do not contain any profile info because on a NUMBER of occasions I've deleted the Lounge cookies on my local machine for problem solving reasons and my profile was never changed or impaired because of it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chris

There are 5 cookies dropped onto your local machine which contain the following:

Visit
    This details the forums you have visited during the latest visit

Stylesheet
    This describes the stylesheet you are using

Language
    Self-explanatory

Password
    Self-explanatory

Username
    Self-explanatory

This is local to the current machine you are using and I have fallen foul of it before when I have cleared my cookies on a work machine and then requested a new password and then got home and couldn't log on. Obviously the database should hold this information for authentication purposes. But by clearing Cookies you will find that you become logged out. HTH
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>... on a work machine and then requested a new password and then got home and couldn't log on. .... HTH

Ah Hah! And there I was blaming you-know-jho.

>Stylesheet : This describes the stylesheet you are using
    Thanks.
    I was thinking/hoping that this would be isolated. I'm not really questioning the wisdom of the system designers (Admin: Makes a nice change!) as trying to make sure that I don't screw up for reasons that are blatantly obvious to smart people, but which seem to pass right over my head.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al is correct: your entire Lounge profile is stored in the Lounge database. Your cookie is only used to reduce network traffic during a session and to make it possible to avoid providing username and password each time you enter the Lounge (as a particular Windows user with a particular browser on a particular PC, if you want to be precise)