3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

? re modifying normal.dotm to create master templ. (Word 2007 SP1)

Hi folks,

So, I am an editor for a company and I edit reports written by staff writers. We have a house style that encompasses styles headings, font usage, spacing, table creation, numbering, etc. I spend more time than I'd like reformatting incorrect style settings used by company writers, so here's my question: Would it be feasible to create a master report template with the correct company styles, save this as/modify the normal.dotm file, and then email the normal.dotm file to every employee? The idea being that if each employee places the modifying normal.dotm file in his or her respective word folder, then each subsequent report they write will be correctly formatted, thus saving me the time of having to reformat. Also, I wonder if I can enter text (boilerplate statements, watermarks, page numbering) too.

Also, would updates I make to my Word's custom dictionary be a part of this normal.dotm file, and thus be shared with other staff writers? If not, is there a similar custom dictionary file in my Word program that I can update and share with other employees?

Finally, I wonder what role permissions/individual Word ownership plays in all this--whether these changes "belong" to my Word and thus might not be adoptable by others.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Thanks

Re: ? re modifying normal.dotm to create master templ. (Word 2007 SP1)

(1) Normal template

Yes, it's possible to distribute a new Normal template. However, because some personal setting are stored there, if people have been using Word for a while, it might be disruptive to do so. Instead, consider creating a report.dotm template, storing it on the network, and setting up a workgroup templates path for your co-workers.

More info: How to manage templates in 2007 Office programs

New reports would have to be based on that template, but if it's partially filled in, then that might provide an inducement to use it, as compared with a blank document.

If co-workers are using Save As with historical reports, then you're stuck: whether you create a new normal.dotm or reports.dotm, the static styles in their old document are not going to be automatically updated. (There is a way to force automatic style updates, but it can cause so much other mischief that it isn't recommended.)

(2) Custom dictionary

This is a separate file. I don't know whether they can be shared, or whether you can have more than one (i.e., one personal and one for the workgroup). Certainly, I would be annoyed if my personal custom dictionary were replaced by someone else's.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<!mskb=322198>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 322198<!/mskb> explains how to create, export and import custom dictionaries, so you won't need to overwrite your users personal dictionaries.

You have another thread discussing how to create templates. Please could I ask loungers who want to offer advice about how to create and manage templates to continue the conversation in the thread starting at <post#=757,573>post 757,573</post#>.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, folks.