2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How Word displays the directory and files (Word 2007 SP1)

I have just switched over from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Sometimes when I open an old document it gets opened so that I see two pages next to each other. How can I change this so that Word always opens documents in the Print display?

I would also like to change Word so that when I select File Open, I always get the directory display with all of the details shown.

Thanks for the help!!

Maury

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Re: How Word displays the directory and files (Word 2007 SP1)

I suspect that it is attachments that are opening in reading view. Go to Word options, and in the Popular section, clear the checkbox for "open e-mail attachments in full screen reading view".

Pam
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, that is not it. These are old Word documents, made either with Word 97 or Word 2000, and not opened since about 2003 or so. Once a document has been opened and the presentation has been changed, the next time that doc is opened it comes up as it should. It is as if there is some kind of setting in the file that determines how it should be displayed, and over the different versions of Word how this is used has been changed. Any other ideas?

Maury

Thanks

I wonder whether with your switch to a new version of Word you have also changed computers and have a monitor with a different resolution?

Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, this is a new computer. The screen has been the same for severaL years, but indeed way back when there have been other screens. Could that be the cause?

Thanks

It was just that I have a recollection that sometimes when I have opened a document it has appeared in the way you describe, and I wondered whether it was to do with my having a bigger higher resolution monitor than the person who last used and saved the documnet. Perhaps someone else here will be able to shed more light on whether this could be the reason.

Ian

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Oh, then it's already in print layout view with just the magnification different? Sounds like an auto open macro that changes the magnification might work. A search of the archives may turn one up.
    PamC
    Pam Caswell