New Lounger
    Thanks

Query Design Error (Access 2002)

I get the following query error message, "The search key was not found in any record", when I make a query in design view. The query that failed is very simple involving just three fields, firstname, lastname, phone from a database that has 1344 records.

Doesn't seem to matter what the complexity of the query or whether it is designed from scratch or by wizard. The same error message appears and I cannot save the query.

The queries run correctly and return the appropriate information.

I saw this when I tried to use information from a CD-Rom once before. But I thought that had something to do with copying the data, and I solved it by creating an empty structure and putting the data in that. But this is my own database, created from scratch.

I can't figure out what is happening and why. Access 2002 was an upgrade from Access 2000. No other Office programs were upgraded. I should mention that this is a recent phenomenum. I have created an saved several queries using this database in the past.

Can anyone give me an idea of why I'm getting this "the search key was not found in any record" error?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Design Error (Access 2002)

>>I get the following query error message, "The search key was not found in any record", when I make a query in design view. The query that failed is very simple involving just three fields, firstname, lastname, phone from a database that has 1344 records.

Doesn't seem to matter what the complexity of the query or whether it is designed from scratch or by wizard. The same error message appears and I cannot save the query.

The queries run correctly and return the appropriate information.<<

I'm somewhat confused, you seem to have contradictory sentences. Is this happening with all queries or just one query? You say it happens if you create a query from scratch, yet how can it run correctly?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It happens when I try to exit and save the query. It happens every time I create a new query.

Crazy as it seems, another database created a day or two ago works properly. I can create and save queries.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Two suggestion of a long time access user, but not (yet) Access 2002;

-Compact & repair
    -Create a new empty mdb and import all objects
    Francois

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You might just want to create a new database, then import everything from the misbehaving database. Often this clears-up problems.
    Mark Liquorman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark and Franscois. That's what I did. Created a new database and imported all the objects in the old one. Solved the problem.

What I can't understand, is what is happening. I couldn't even compact and repair the database. I got the same message.

Thanks for your help

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>What I can't understand, is what is happening. I couldn't even compact and repair the database. I got the same message.<<

I don't really know what it happens or how it happens, it just happens! Not much of a consolation, but that's the way it is. You might try using JetComp to repair the database, it sometimes will cure problems that the built-in repair capability won't.
    Mark Liquorman