5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox vs. Flash Player

I'm using the latest version of Firefox and I run the scan on the Secunia web site each time I am notified that the criteria has been updated. I keep getting told that I need to update the Flash Player. I install it and then run the scan again and it complains again that I don't have the latest version. This has been happening for the last several months.

Any idea why the newer version of Flash Player doesn't get installed?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks

Re: Firefox vs. Flash Player

Bill, do you have more than one instance of the Flash player listed in your Secunia scan results? If so, you may be updating one but not the other. I believe they may be separate downloads. One is for Mozilla-based browsers, the other for IE browsers.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have 3 items listed in the secunia scan! I have the same two you showed in your message plus one whose file name is Flash.ocx and it is version 7.0.14.0 and is the one the scan is complaining about. I just looked in Add/Remove Programs and only the first two are listed there. Does that mean I can go find that Flash.ocx file and delete it? I am using Firefox most of the time and IE occasionally.

Thanks,
    Bill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Flash.ocx is the ActiveX version of the Flash player used by IE, so you appear to have 2 ActiveX versions installed.
    I would uninstall Flash Player and then re-install the latest versions, see How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control. That link will take you to an uninstaller that should remove all traces of the Flash player.

You will then have to re-install the Flash Player plugin for Firefox and the ActiveX control for IE.

Thanks

>>> Does that mean I can go find that Flash.ocx file and delete it? <<<

You could, but TonyE's advice is the better way to deal with this.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

If that file is in the Windowssystem32 path, you definitely should get rid of it. However, the Secunia scanner often finds files in archival folders that are not actively used by any program. To be safe, it still is best to remove the file. If the full Adobe uninstall does not take care of that, you could try renaming it to flash.ocx.old to make it difficult for Windows to use it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I took Tony's advice and did an uninstall first. That did not remove the Flash.ocx file from a folder a couple of levels below Windows/System32 so I deleted the Flash folder it and a couple of other files were in. Then I rebooted and the PC and ran the Secunia scan again and all was well. I don't think it installed a new .ocx file but that will probably happen correctly when the need for one comes up again.

Thanks,
    Bill