Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email Disappears after 24 hours

My boss just got his Mobile back after being repaired, and when he set up his personal Email, he's now finding that his email disappears (seemingly) after 24 hours.
    Eg, Sends & Receives. 5 messages arrive
    Sends & Receives tomorrow. Those 5 messages disappear, and only new mail is now in his Inbox.

He's checked the ActiveSync Settings and all the Settings for this Account but can't find a setting that would seem to be doing this.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email Disappears after 24 hours

Activesync > Tools > Options > eMail > Settings >
    The first drop down box, labelled Download the past is probably set to 1 day.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
    My boss just got back to me after checking those settings, and it's set to 5 days.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have a number of different email accounts on my Windows mobile phone and the only one that behaves like this uses POP3.

What kind of account is your boss using? Exchange Server? POP3? IMAP?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

POP3. I read that this is a know issue with Gmail, but it's not a Gmail account, unless the ISP is now using Gmail?
    Just checked. He tried the Microsoft fix/suggestion, which was to put "recent:" in front of the Username, but that didn't work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You configure this on the Windows Mobile device itself.

In the Options for the email account, you should see a screen that has
    Automatic Send / Receive: (dropdown box - Manually and various times)
    Download Messages: (dropdown box - Today's messages, From the past 3 days etc...)

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but this is currently configured to 5 days?

Do you think this is a bug?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is it possible that the POP3 email is ALSO being collected from somewhere else.

I have my Windows Mobile phone set to collect the email from POP3 and leave it on the server, but if I collect the email from my PC then it is removed from the server and next time I sync it disappears from the phone too.

Other than that I am fresh out of ideas.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is, but it was before the Mobile went in for repair, and it didn't used to delete files after they were downloaded.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of it. Any other suggestions most welcome!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am all out of ideas, hopefully someone else will be able to help

StuartR

Thanks
    Anyone find any solutions for this? I've only started playing with email after all these years, and I'm experiencing the same thing. I wonder if it's a function of the device you're using. For example, Blackberry's utilize real POP3, while other PDA type phones might be limited to email provided by web-based email (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.). I have found that I cannot utilize my own unix-based mail server as it is not web-based. I've not narrowed this done, so feel free to chime in...

Thanks
    [quote name='MarkAtHome' post='785342' date='19-Jul-2009 19:34']I've only started playing with email after all these years, and I'm experiencing the same thing. I wonder if it's a function of the device you're using. For example, Blackberry's utilize real POP3, while other PDA type phones might be limited to email provided by web-based email (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.). I have found that I cannot utilize my own unix-based mail server as it is not web-based.[/quote]
    The Inbox program can talk directly to POP3 and SMTP servers. I have read about a glitch in Windows Mobile 6.1 that if the server is unavailable when mail is checked, Windows Mobile may break the account forever, forcing you to set it up from scratch again. (My IT department said Blackberry Internet Service apparently has a similar problem: when an Exchange server is unavailable for a few hours, it disables the account.)

Thanks
    Well, the messages don't seem to have disappeared in their entirety... if you select Get message headers only, then the disappeared messages return. I'm getting too old for this...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does he have some kind of filter set up that only shows messages from the last 24 hours?

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='785529' date='21-Jul-2009 07:02']Does he have some kind of filter set up that only shows messages from the last 24 hours?[/quote]
    I originally had my phone setup as a POP3 client and to retrieve all messages from the server, and then delete them (that's what I do for my desktop POP3 email accounts with Outlook 2007). I have a seperate account for the phone and it's not duplicated on my desktop, so I thought that IMAP was not needed.

I have an ATT/HTC Tilt and ATT could not figure it out. I was told that they would get back to me in an hour and that was days ago.

Inadvertanly, I stumbled upon this information on XDA that its a bug in WM6.1 that involves certain non-compliant POP3 clients connecting to certain non-compliant POP3 servers.

All I know is that it's still working as one would expect it to. <knock wood>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast