5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fan Noise Cures ?

I was given a full-tower PC by a friend, who got tired of its problems and bought herself a new PC. It's a custom-built, by an old boyfriend who is long gone <grin>. I've straightened out its major problems and it's running well, but the fan noise is horrendous. In addition to the CPU fan, it has two case fans in the rear, two in the front, and one on the side. The PC was filthy when I got it, with most of the ventilation openings blocked. I cleared all those, and replaced the CPU fan/heat sink and the side fan. The side fan and the two rear ones have 3-speed controllers, set to Low. For now I disconnected the two front fans entirely. There's a Thermaltake fan controller mounted in the case, but only the CPU sensor is connected, and none of the controller wiring is installed.

I'll probably pull the fan controller out of the case and replace it with a "media card, I/O, etc." unit. I've seen some of those with controllers for 2 fans. Aside from replacing the 2 rear fans, hopefully with quieter ones, what else should I be looking at to quiet this PC down? Not even sure I need the 2 front fans, one of which blows straight into the case and the other one blows over the hard drive bay (which only has 1 hard drive installed). If the controller is to be believed, the Celeron processor is running about 78 degrees F. The Gigabyte mobo does NOT have any fan control ability.

Thanks

Re: Fan Noise Cures ?

John,
    I don't know that you NEED a fan controller at all. Ditto for the fan over the HD.
    Replacement fans are inexpensive but why TWO fans in the rear of the unit? Change it out for a new quieter one. Same for the front fan. You can check the DB level out when looking for a new fan.
    That's a start anyway.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Replacement fans are inexpensive but why TWO fans in the rear of the unit? Change it out for a new quieter one. Same for the front fan. You can check the DB level out when looking for a new fan. <<

OK, I'll shut one rear fan down and put in a quieter one for the other rear fan. Maybe pull both front fans to let more air flow into the case?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

I'd leave one of the fans in the front. Just ensure the vanes are pointed in a direction so that air is drawn in and not pushing it out.

As Bob (viking33) suggested, you can also look for quieter fans on the market. I've had good luck with Antec and Zalman products.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob