Thanks

Relative location

I have a series of HTML-based tutorials on a local disk. They must be run with IE. As my default browser is Firefox, I created (with help from the Lounge) shortcuts to launch the tutorials with IE. A sample shortcut "Target" is:

"C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe" "C:AAABBBsystemhtmlhome.htm"

This worked well until I recently moved the tutorials to a different disk. I then had to change all the shortcuts to reflect the fact that they were now on E: and not C:.

My question:

Since the page I want to launch is "E:AAABBBsystemhtmlhome.htm" and the shortcut is located at "E:AAABBBshortcut", is there any way to eliminate the absolute reference to E:AAABBB so that the shortcut works regardless of where I move the tutorials?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Relative location

What happens if you set the "Start in" page for the shortcut to be the folder where your files are, and then reference the files with no drive or folder information?

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

You'd need to set some environmental variable for the path you are currently using such as "set tutorialpath = "Eaaabbb". Then replace that part of the path in the shortcur with "%tutorialpath%". If you move the tutorials you just need to change the variable. See Environment variable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

NOTE: You don't want the shortcut in the "tutorial" path. You want the shortcut in some location that is static so you don't need to keep changing it.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Stuart, I tried your suggestion (without success yet) but then realized that if I were to move the folders to yet another disk, I would still have to modify the shortcut to reflect this, wouldn't I?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you would still have to modify the Shortcut

StuartR

Thanks

Joe, I hadn't thought of that approach. I'll look into it, but it's not clear to me if it will provide a generalized solution to the issue.

Maybe I should clarify and restate what I want to do using a CD as an example. Assume I have a CD with the following files and folders (see attachment). The CD drive on my XP system has a drive letter of D but on my Vista system it is F.

How do I, or anyone using this CD, launch IE (required, but may not be the default browser) using index.htm (or systemhtmlhome.htm) on a CD drive whose drive letter is unknown?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If it is for a CD then you could try simply putting the shortcut in the same folder as the files and leave out the path altogether.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks

Joe

Thanks

Hoo boy! Guess I really muddied the waters here. My example of using a CD was just to illustrate that the device in question, be it CD, HDD or USB key, could have any drive letter. That being said, I'm looking for a way to launch a specific browser to display a specific HTML page located on that device without being too concerned about its drive letter.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks

Are you distributing this tutorial? Why not develop a simple installation routine that way you get to set up everything as required?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Just a thought. How about using IE tab (Firefox extension) to open the HTML index file, then set it to always open in IE tab. It should not care which source is used for the files.I use that often for (live)sites which misbehave in FF. I don't know if the files would need to be contained in a folder which is always present whichever media is used.