Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SharePoint 2003 content to 2007

My organization has deployed the new SharePoint 2007 application. The new application will replace our SharePoint 2003 server, and my job is to move my content from the old site to the new. (We did not simply upgrade in place—we built an entirely new enterprise. Both are in place for now, but the IT shop will take down the old sites as we complete the migration.) I've encountered a couple of problems, and I hope someone in the Lounge has had experience in this area. My immediate problems are as follows:

1. I have a collection of MS-Word documents with versions in my section's SharePoint 2003 site. For example, one document has 24 versions. When I move that document from the old site to the new, I see only the most recent version. How do I capture the older versions? It appears I'll have to open each version of the document in the old site, save it as a separate document, and then import each document. Please—tell me there's an easier way!

2. In Windows Explorer, under My Network Places, I see both of my old SharePoint collections: "ctchq" and "ctchq(2)". They appear alongside the familiar My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places. (Actually, these two locations appear under My Network Places on the same level as "Entire Network.") SharePoint 2007 lets me upload either one document at a time or "Upload multiple documents." If upload a single document, the dialog exposes both "ctchq" and "ctchq(2)" and I can drill down to the document I want. This is a very slow approach, as you can imagine. To speed things along, I chose to upload multiple documents. With this approach, however, the search dialog box does not see either of my old "ctchq" paths. It appears I'm doomed to move one document at a time.

Any thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: SharePoint 2003 content to 2007

There are many SharePoint resources available. See the Microsoft TechnetMigration and Upgrade Resource Center for SharePoint Server 2007. Third party products and resources such as SharePoint Migration Software: Migration to SharePoint 2003, 2007,Sharepoint Migration Services & Tools Migrate Sharepoint 2003/2007 :: Vamosa, & SharePoint 2003 & 2007 Migration Tools: Migration Manager for SharePoint.

Many more links to check at migrate sharepoint 2003 to sharepoint 2007 - Live Search.

This can be a complex subject and needs proper analysis and planning. Microsoft and any of the above third party vendors can provide consulting.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SharePoint 2003 content to 2007

<hr>This can be a complex subject.... <hr>
    Yeah, no kidding! Thanks for the references, Joe!