2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error 429 (Excel 2000)

I have written some VBA code to generate data for a spreadsheet, but I get an Error 429 when I execute the second line of this code snippet:

Dim xlApp As Object, xlWorkbook as Object, xlSheet as Object
    Set xlApp = CreateObject(Excel.Application)
    xlApp.Workbooks.Add
    Set xlSheet = xlApp.Workbooks.Open(ThisFileName).Sheets(1)

I have obtained some info from an MS source which points out that there are a variety of reasons for this error and makes some suggestions for addressing it.

The ones I have complied with so far are:

Opening a document explicitly (as in the code above).
    Checked that the necessary references are there (I have Word, Excel and Office libraries installed
    I have used the generalised Excel.APplication argument and not a version-specific one.

The MS documentation then goes on to discuss something called the Automation server. I am unsure whether in this context, MS is referring to a true network with Office installed centrally but being used on a client computer or a process resident on the local computer (my system is standalone). It goes on to discuss CLSID values in the registry and so forth. I would appreciate some enlightenment on these matters, plus any other suggestions for resolving my problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 429 (Excel 2000)

The argument to CreateObject should be a string:
    <code>
    Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")</code>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 429 (Excel 2000)

Doh ! Well, I did copy it straight from an advisory somewhere in MS land ! Thanks for your very prompt reply, Hans. You must be on duty 24/7, This attention to duty is, I must say, a worthy trait I have frequently noticed in my Dutch friends (putting me to shame, of course).