Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents (Word 2003)

How do I get only the title portion of a paragraph to show up in a TOC and not all of the paragraph? (It's style and everything is perfect except that it includes the rest of the paragraph.)

Here's what the paragraph says:

6.2 No Sale. During the Interim Period, Contributor shall not sell, pledge or otherwise encumber the Interest.

I only want to see 6.2 No Sale and the page number in my TOC, but I keep getting the rest of the paragraph. Is there a way that Word will automatically determine the title portion without me having to do a bunch of magic??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Contents (Word 2003)

You can use the Style Separator for this; this allows you to assign a different style to part of a paragraph.
    It works as follows:
    - Click just before "During the interim period".
    - Press Enter to move the second part of the heading to a new paragraph (this is temporary)
    - Click at the end of the "No Sale" paragraph.
    - Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to insert the style separator.
    - Press Delete to move the second part ("During the interim period" etc.) back up.
    - With the insertion point in the second part, select a paragraph style that will not be included in the TOC*.
    - Adjust the formatting of the second part as needed.
    - Refresh the TOC by clicking in it and pressing F9.

* I'd create and use a style that looks just like the heading style but that has body text as outline level.

Note: when entering new text, it's simpler:
    - Select a Heading style.
    - Type the first part.
    - Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter.
    - Type the second part.
    - Adjust the formatting of the second part or assign a non-Heading style.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, why is it, several days later, I go in and add the style separator and it puts it down a line or two from where my cursor is?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The Style Separator is always inserted at the end of a paragraph, not necessarily at the insertion point.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, actually, I think I figured out what I did wrong. The style separator has to be entered BEFORE I type the rest of the paragraph (or I needed to move the paragraph to the next line, enter the style separator and put the paragraph back on the line). So, never mind (and Thanks anyway)!