Thanks

Malicious software removal tool

I have on my system
    CA Security Suite
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware Plus (includes Ad-Watch)
    I use CCleaner at least once per week
    I use Acronis about every two weeks and copy (not move) the images to an external drive. (How insecure is that?)

I am constantly bombarded with Microsoft's "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" I have checked many times "Do not notify me again"
    It still comes up, sooner or later I am going to make a mistake. Like one of the IE Toolbars embedded in software.

Is "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" worth having with what protection I already have?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Malicious software removal tool

Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool is mostly intended for PCs that have inadequate security software. Since you have the CA Security Suite and AdAware, you don't really need it but it won't do any harm either.
    The MSRT runs only once after installation, this only takes a few minutes. A new version is released the second Tuesday of every month; I'd simply allow it to be installed and run (that's what I do, anyway).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I agree with Hans. You keep getting the notifications because it is a different release every month. Since it only runs once and takes such a short time, it can't hurt and provides another level of defense just in case something sneaks by your other defenses.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thanks guys, I will go ahead and download.
    Probably the last place to write the following, but! I installed XP-SP3 last night and today installed the full version of .Net this system is faster.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Congratulations!! There were some articles about SP-3 and a performance increase. I don't use XP regularly any more so I can't say. Anyway, good luck with it.

Joe
    Joe