3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inconsistencies when pasting btwn documents (2007)

Could someone recommend a good link or source for learning about pasting between documents in Word 2007? I encounter annoying changes that seem illogical. When I paste text that has 3 levels of Styles headings and numbered lists, the text usually get changed when pasted into the receiving document. For example, a numbered list will have a 10pt space after each line, when none existed in the original document or the receiving document. This is with the setting Word Options>Advanced>Cut, Copy, and paste, Keep source formatting for all options. Switching this to keep destination formatting results in other oddness, such as pasting the same text and having it all appear in the 1st of the 3 levels of Styles headings (in this case, 16pt bold for the main heading in all the text). Basically, no matter what setting I seem to choose within Cut, copy, and paste, some sort of nonsense seems to exist.

I wonder if this is just some inherent flakiness within Word, or if I haven't mastered the nuances of Word's settings. Possibly a combination of the two.

And what's with having to press Ctrl+Z to undo unwanted macro changes? For example, I will insert a page break mark in front of a Heading 1 title, and Word will insert page breaks in front of all such Heading 1 style text, forcing me to hit Ctrl+Z to undo it. Is there a setting I can make to tell Word not to keep making such presumptuous assumptions about what I am wanting to do? It's like talking to someone who keeps finishing your sentences for you, in the hopes of getting it right, but rarely ever does. Grrr....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inconsistencies when pasting btwn documents (2007)

> For example, I will insert a page break mark in front of a Heading 1 title, and Word will insert page breaks in front of all such Heading 1 style text,

This means that the Heading 1 style has been set to update automatically, i.e. if you apply direct formatting to a Heading 1 paragraph, the formatting will be applied to the style itself and hence to all paragraphs using that style. You can clear the "Automatically update" check box in the "Modify Style" dialog for Heading 1. You'll have to repeat this for other styles showing the same behavior.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Do you think some of the other inconsistencies are the result of other settings I'm unaware of?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not aware of having seen such inconsistencies, but then I'm not using Word 2007, so I don't know if it's specific to that version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot see why Word would change the font from Arial to Calibiri when neither document has that setting. Seems like BS to me.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

If you haven't changed the defaults for your document (and/or for your normal.dotm), then Calibri, 1.15 spacing, and 10 points after could suddenly appear into your document. A style based on no style, is actually based on the document defaults and will take on any default characteristic that has not been changed to something else.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point. Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='759447' date='16-Feb-2009 22:25']I cannot see why Word would change the font from Arial to Calibiri when neither document has that setting. Seems like BS to me.[/quote]

Those settings are the default for the 'normal' style in Word 2007. So if the source file is styled as 'normal' it will pick up the settings for 'normal' in the destination file.

This is one of the inherent problems with using styles based on 'normal'.