4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Sharepoint? (?)

Hi,

I am looking for MSoft authored Doc. Management systems.
    Is MS Sharepoint compatible with NT4?

Apart from Tahoe, are there any other players in the game?

Thanks,

m.q.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Sharepoint? (?)

server or workstations? AFAIK, it works with most workstations since it displays in the browser. You mat need IE5+ though.

check out the microsoft website for servers for docs relating to SPPS.

Thanks

"Document management" definitely means different things to different people, and different businesses have significantly different requirements. We are implementing a system called WORLDOX which is one of several targeted toward law firms. WORLDOX does not replace groupware or a collaboration system like Groupwise or Lotus Notes, it simply is a superior way to organize and access the company's documents.

If document management is a critical function for your business, I wouldn't play around with the first generation of Tahoe or whatever it ultimately morphs into. There are several mature products on the market offered by stable companies that have a much better chance of working right the first time. If you spell out your requirements a bit, I'm sure you will get a number of recommendations.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have Sharepoint Portal Server installed on a Server 2000 box with all manner of clients hitting it through IE5 and up.

The good counselor is right -- if you're looking for a high end, don't expect much of the end user, integrate it tightly with other applications kind of doc mgm't solution, SPS ain't it. Let's not even begin to discuss the lack of back-up and restore utilities. Perhaps look into Hummingbird, et al.

That said, as a version 1.0 product from Microsoft, I've found it to be fairly stable, and nice way to get an internal corporate portal site up quickly and relatively inexpensively. And our tech group is using it for some light document management responsibilities.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=blue>~Shane</font color=blue></font face=comic>