3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Architecture / Design (WinXP/ O2003 / XL)

Hi,

Got an .xla with a constantly increasing number of functions. Some handles database connections and data retrieval. Some deals with formatting and colors and a last category are department specific functions.

To make it more lean and efficient I am considering to spilt it into 3 separate files - maybe even a DLL or an XLL...

But I am not certain of the pros and cons of this approach and lack experience with this.

A few obvious questions are:
    1. How can my 'database-project' get hold of functions in eg. the 'formatting-rpoject'
    2. Are there any performance consequences?
    3. Will Excels 'security settings' prevent this from working - and in case at what level does it interfere?
    4. Considerations about locally installed files in comparison to network installed files (distribution aspects)
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Architecture / Design (WinXP/ O2003 / XL)

Before you get into this knee-deep:

- Why are you considering the split up?
    - How big is the current xla?
    - How big is the VBA project (you can use MZTools to determine your project stats)??

For instance. My Name Manager addin (which works fine) has these stats:

Filesize of xla: 1.7mb
    # of code lines: 9,413
    # of modules: 10
    # of userforms: 9
    # of class modules: 4
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Consideration is:

Some don't need the DB part, others not the department specific part etc.
    We got a very limited profile space per user <15mb. Thus I would like to keep the .xla minimal in size and only containing what the various users need.

Size is around 2mb.
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You can limit profile consumption by putting your xla on a network share. Make the xla file readonly and you can even update it "live".
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the advice...

Part of the architecture consideration is, that it must be available both when the user is on- and offline, thus the location in the profile.

An alternative would be to locate it in a separate folder somewhere on the harddisk, where it is not part of the profile count. But doing so there is the re-distribution issue as you mention and also the drawback, that it will no longer be selfregistering - contrary to the behaviour when it is located in the 'profileaddins' folder.

Having read Bullen/Bovey/Greens 'Pro Excel Development' (ISBN: 0-321-26250-6) I'm just curios as to whether a split or XLL conversion could be relevant alternatives worth considering???
    Bests,
    RD

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, you could consider building a COM addin using VB6. Very easy to re-use your code and I bet the dll will be smaller than the Excel xla. But I hardly know anything on using multiple dll's.
    If the code in part A needs some code in part B, then two addins isn't very feasible, as you'd need a reference from A to B, which will likely cause havoc when a user only as A or B.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ...a minor continuum of this thread...

Considering to make a single "dll like item" (what is the most recommended method?)

I have a logon procedure and some standard database calls that I want to use across multiple workbooks.
    .. and instead of making an .XLA I was considering a DLL or the like as I expect it to work faster and integrate seamlessly with Excel.

However I'm rather new to this part and are fumbling around here - so any tips and guidance are highly appreciated.

TIA
    Bests,
    RD