Lounger
    Thanks

Fugitive settings (2003sp2)

My wife (on her main XPSP3 desktop) beats heavily on a collection of simple Word documents - they're logs of research, together with text scraps and comments on same. She works 99% in Normal view, with a narrow style area on the left, rag right, default TNR font, styles only for headers. Document sizes are 20k-250k. Lately, several defaults have changed on their own in certain documents, without user action.

o Magnification, Normal View goes to minimum, producing the familiar heart-stopping narrow ruler and micro-miniscule type.

o Options|View|Windows-in-Taskbar unchecks, making new instances open in the same window.

o A document's save options become "Office 97" instead of the default 2003.

Normal.dot is pretty vanilla. Yes, I've blown that away, and even done a repair install. One of the above still changes itself at least once a day. Change it back, and the settings stick properly with the doc - for a while. At least a third of the problem "daily use" files really aren't that old - they've been worked on, though heavily, for only a few weeks. Some have a long history. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which of them gets hit next.

The only recent changes on her machine have been MS updates and a switch to a new wide 22" screen. The new screen has produced rising expectations in the area of stability of multiple window sizes/tilings. I try to reduce those (g), with some success. The cursings and mutterings over the above settings changes are harder to stifle - they puzzle me, too.

Suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fugitive settings (2003sp2)

Does she have any add-ins installed? Some add-ins mess with user settings - the Adobe PDFMaker add-in is notorious for this.

Try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post> on her PC.

Lounger
    Thanks

>Does she have any add-ins installed

I don't think so. She does have full Acrobat 7 on the machine, but I see no evidence of it on Word's toolbars or menus. Where do I look? She certainly doesn't have Microsoft's PDF printer gizmo (is that even available for Office 03?).

I've taken all her document contents and pasted-special into NotePad, then re-imported into new .DOCs. We'll see whether that helps. Tempfiles are cleaned.

See you Tuesday, expecting near-whiplash from the new software's navigation speed....

-f

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The star post by Phil Rabichow that I mentioned in my previous reply shows where to look for add-ins.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='760583' date='22-Feb-2009 21:28']The star post by Phil Rabichow that I mentioned in my previous reply shows where to look for add-ins.[/quote]

No addins evident, but sanitizing the text through WordPad has fixed things, knock on wood. Thanks for your help.

-f