Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot access this forum

Hello all,
    This is my first post here though I've been lurking and learning for a while. I found it through reading one of Woody's books and have been relying on his updates and information to guide me in updating my computer. However, the past 2 days I have been having issues accessing this site both through IE7 and Firefox. I can browse to every other website I can think of, yet, since yesterday, when I click on my bookmark to come here, both IE and Firefox tell me they can't find the site. I have not made any changes to my computer (Vista 32 bit Home Premium and IE 7 and the latest Firefox), I have cleared my cache and my cookies, and I CAN access this forum from the computer at work without a problem. The only reason I have gotten here now is that I accessed a cached page for the forum on a google search.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have downloaded the latest IE security patch to see if that would fix it and it did. Once. After I closed the window and tried to get back again, the same problem..
    Thanks in advance
    Peppurr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot access this forum

Welcome!

Which address are you using to get to Woody's Lounge? Try adding http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl to your Favorites / Bookmarks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans! That worked and I can get to the forums
    Do you have an address for Woody's updates and news? ( I like to keep up with his suggestions on whether or not to update.. )
    I was using www.askwoody.com or askwoody.com before. That does not seem to be working.
    I also have this problem with just one other website. Everything else works fine. Weird?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The address for AskWoody is http://askwoody.com/ - I don't know why that wouldn't work...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    I don't know either. It's just two websites that I have visited many times in the past that I am having this issue with and I can access them from computers elsewhere.
    Both my browsers cookies are enabled, Java is enabled in IE..
    I am stumped?
    Peppurr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you tell us which other sites you have problems with, or is that confidential?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    Not at all. The other site is a software forum as well. It's www.vistax64.com.
    I was getting on there last night through a cached page through a google search then signing on, but I have not even been able to do that this morning. It's weird. It's only these two sites and from this location. I just tried to sign on with my old laptop and I have the same problem.
    All other websites in my favourites and bookmarks, even websites like facebook and those chosen at random load quickly and with no problems.
    Peppurr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you also have this problem if you type www.vistax64.com directly into the address bar of your browser and press Enter?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. I tried that with both websites on both browsers (IE 7 and Firefox) I also tried clearing my cache, history and my cookies, downloading the latest Windows Security Update for IE, restarting my computer..My anti virus and Windows Defender are not picking anything up
    In fact, when I try to get to the vista site, sometimes the browser will redirect me to a search page, vista64 instead of vistax64
    I'm stumped.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you said it just started a couple of days ago, occurs only on this home computer and it's up to date, do you suppose it's possible that your ISP started doing any filtering of "suspicious" web sites lately? It might be worth a call to them. Sometimes forum web sites like the two we're discussing have problems because we send lots of emails to our members and ISPs start interpreting that as spam so they either block our emails or traffic or both.

In addition to Defender, what is your AV program and do you use any other malware-catchers that could be singling out the two sites we're discussing?

Still thinking about this...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You could also check the hosts file, though perhaps not likely to have been changed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi bigaldoc and Hans,
    Thank you for taking the time to help me work t his out.
    I will try to call my ISP and see if they have any ideas as you suggested.
    bigaldoc, my AV program is Norton Internet Security version 10 2.0.30 which came with my box. So far, I haven't had any issues though I do know some people have with Norton.
    This is the first computer I've had with a firewall etc so I kind of let it do it's own thing..
    No, I dont' have any other malware programs on board. Some of the members of the other forum recommended Malwarebytes, but understood Defender is pretty good at picking this stuff up..

Argus-- hosts file?
    Peppurr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Argus doesn't seem to be around now. The hosts file is a standard file for "assisting" in Windows communication procedures. You "should" find it in: C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc folder and please note that it is HOSTS with no "dot extension" at the end. If you see any entries in there (open it with Notepad or whatever text editor you use) please copy those lines and let us know.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi bigaldoc
    In my Windows/system32/drivers/etc folder I have a host file and a host.sam file as well as network, protocol and services.
    I opened the host file with notepad and this is what I have:
    This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost

The host.sam file wanted me to chose a program to open it with. Not sure what it is so I left it
    Peppurr

Thanks

I checked my hosts file because I seemed to recall a similar entry as you have.

For whatever reason at that time I "commented out" the last entry and that is the way it has remained. It MAY have had something to do with System Mechanic, a utility that I have installed?

At any rate, I opened HOSTS with Notepad and edited it to place # sign in front of the ::1 localhost, so it reads

<big># ::1 localhost</big>

This effectively skips by that entry in the file. It may be worth a try. You can always go back and delete the # sign and things will go back to original.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast