5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Save/Save as... (2003)

I was recently working on my document when I noticed my reflexive ctrl + S caused the “save as” window to pop up. This should not have happened, since the document had already been written to my hard drive and given a name. So I gave it a different name and continued working but, a few minutes later, again noticed that window popping up. I then went to give the document another name, but I realized that the just-saved version was only 0 kb. Upon resaving the document with a third name, I noticed that this new, third document also had only 0 kb.

Why is ctrl + S causing the “save as” window to pop up and why are only 0 kb files being saved???

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save/Save as... (2003)

Did you assign Ctrl+S to a macro? To check this, select Tools | Customize... and press Keyboard...
    Click in the Press new shortcut key box and press Ctrl+S.
    What does it say after "Currently assigned to"?

Have you created a macro named FileSave? Because of that name, it would hijack the File | Save command.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I don't recall creating any macros. In fact, I don't know how to.

Under Customize Keyboard, when I enter Ctrl + S under "Press a new shortcut key," "FileSave" appears next to "Currently assigned to." Does this mean that I created a macro?

On another note, I just tried opening a relatively large document on my computer and Word crashed. The recovery files of those two documents I mentioned that I saved that were 0 kb each turned out to be plain blank documents (thought the document I was originally working on and tried saving was 400+ pages. I thought I lost the document, but then I found another autorecover version fo teh document and when I saved that, it came out to 2.9 mb (slightly smaller than the original, but makes me worry less than the 0 kb version).

After the crash, pressing ctrl + S did nothing (whereas before it opened up the Save as... dialogue). Then I closed and reopened Word and it is workign again as it should. I don't know what I did. In fact, I don't think I did anything.

Please help!

Thanks

> Then I closed and reopened Word and it is working again as it should.

In that case, you might be best just to wait and see if it has righted itself.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes, applications become confused. Closing, then restarting the application may help, and more often, rebooting your PC will help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I enter Ctrl + S under "Press a new shortcut key" in Customize Keyboard, is "FileSave" supposed to appear next to "Currently assigned to" or does it mean I have accidently created a macro?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

FileSave is the default action of Ctrl+S, so it probably means that youhave *not* reassigned this keyboard shortcut.