csimsic

Auto SpellCheck-Word97 SR-1

Have friend whose last name is "Donovan". When he types that name in a Word doc (also has Works 4.5a for Win95 installed with Win98) it is immediately replaced by "XXXXXXX". Could not find that combo in file Mssp2_en.lex nor is it in any of his three *.acl files. This problem erupted several weeks ago; until then he had no difficulty typing his last name. Any ideas on what may be causing problem and how to fix it ?? Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto SpellCheck-Word97 SR-1

Simply check Tools/AutoCorrect to see if your last name is in the list with the xxxxxxx substtution. This is a common joke played on many. If it is in the autocorrect list, simple delete it.

Bob_D

csimsic

[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]Already tried Tools/Auto Correct approach. No entry for "Donovan" or for "XXXXXXX" in the list. When I type "Donovan" in the Replace field it immediately gets changed to "XXXXXXX". If I type "XXXXXXX" in the Replace field then try to type "Donovan" in the With field, "Donovan" immediately gets replaced with "XXXXXXX".
    Thanks for the suggestion but, I'm still looking for the answer. Carl

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Next, does this happen only in Word97. If it happens in Wordpad, check the list of running programs for anything funny. There are some apps around the monitor keyboard activity to prevent typing specific words. But check Wordpad first.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

At this point, I'm guessing, as I've never heard of this before. Try moving or renaming the *.acl files, just to see what happens. I'm thinking that maybe the .acl file got corrupt. At the same time, what you say happens in the AutoCorrect dialog box sounds strange, because entries into those boxes are not be affected by AutoCorrect.

It would be a strange corruption of normal.dot or a virus, but you could try renaming normal.dot to normal.old to see if that changes things. You could also start Word from Start/Run & type winword.exe /a. That would let you know if some add-in program caused it. Still, just to affect the name Donovan.

You sure he's not making a movie called "The Net", where he's slowly erased from databases.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img] If I think of something (other than changing his name [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]), I'll post back.

csimsic

Yes, the same thing happens when running Wordpad. I used Startup Mgr. to stop all background pgms and the problem remains.
    Did see something today that I may not have noticed before. When typing "Donovan" in a sample letter, the name gets changed to "XXXXXXX" as soon as I finish typing the name. However, if I type the name misspelled "Donoven", then go back and change the "e" to an "a", the name does NOT get changed. Then, when I run spellcheck the name does not get replaced with "XXXXXXX". Still looking for the solution. Carl

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some ideas to narrow it down. Type Donovan but no space after it. Does it change, or does it only change when you put in the space.

Immediately it has changed hit the backspace. Does it change back to Donovan?

These behaviours would both be expected from autocorrect.

Do other autocorrect words work as advertised?

Try Tools/Templates and AddIns. What active templates do you have apart from Normal.dot?

What macros do you have? Is there one commencing Auto? E.g. autoexec, autoopen, autonew etc.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Thanks

Following up on Bob_D's comments...
    If this happens in WordPad, rounding up the usual suspects in Word will do you little good. None of them apply.

Check programs running by using a three-fingered-salute to bring up the task manager. (Ctrl-Alt-Del) See if you can figure out which program is doing what. Some will be obvious (like Explorer or winword). If you don't know, write them down and post the list on the Windows board. Others should be able to identify all or most of them for you.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As this activity occurs in WordPad, Word itself is not the cause.
    I personally would check the autoexec.bat for a strange application being loaded. [img]/w3timages/icons/lightbulb.gif[/img]
    I ran across something like this a few years back. It involved a keyboad watch application that monitored words being typed, replacing four letter words and the like with XXXX's. The dictionary used was updated to include the user's name. Try typing a four letter word in notepad. If XXXX shows up - you got it.
    Definitly check the windows startup folder and autoexec.bat.

csimsic

[img]/w3timages/icons/yep.gif[/img]Following the hints and suggestions received thru the various answers to my request for help, the problem is solved!! CyberPatrol was installed on the system and I wondered if it could be mistakenly interpreting "Donovan" as a protected site. Sure enough, when I disabled CyberPatrol the problem went away. I then uninstalled Cyber and reinstalled a newer version and everything works fine now. Don't know why Cyber was doing what it was doing but, all your hints/suggestions got me on the right track. Cannot Thank You all enough.
    ps. Professor at local university gave up on the problem. I look like a real expert now. Carl Simsic

csimsic

Thanks for your hints and suggestions. Problem was caused by CyberPatrol (see my WOPR posting). Thank you for your help.
    Carl Simsic

csimsic

Thanks for your help & suggestions. Problem caused by CyberPatrol (see my WOPR posting). Thank you for your help.
    Carl Simsic

csimsic

Thanks for your hints & suggestions. Problem caused by CyberPatrol (see my WOPR posting). Thank you for your help.
    Carl Simsic