5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Emphasise on active row (2003 SP2)

Editted Typo

Afternoon all

I am sure there was a post some months ago regarding having the active row underlined whilst you were working in it. I have searched by 'Active Row' and 'Highlight Row' but can't find it. Can anybody shed any light on it or offer a suggestion / macro that would do it?

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emphasise on active row (2003 SP2)

Chip Pearson has a free add-in that will do what you want: RowLiner Add-In.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emphasise on active row (2003 SP2)

Thanks Hans

off to have a 'play'

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All

The add-in suggested by Hans works great but causes me 2 problems

1. Because it is an add in not everybody I send the WB to will have it
    2. and, it is automatically active in every workbook that I now open (I realise that I can go into view and manually turn it off)

Does anybody know of a macro that I could use to underline the current row of the active cell (I can't really use highlighting because many of the cells are filled by CF)

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you use cell borders in your sheet?

I'm asking this because the code would become much more complicated if it had to take existing cell borders into account.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't use cell borders, you can copy the following code into the worksheet module (right-click the sheet tab and select View Code from the popup menu):

[codebox]Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    Static lngOldRow As Long
    Dim lngNewRow As Long
    lngNewRow = ActiveCell.Row
    If Not lngNewRow = lngOldRow Then
    If lngOldRow > 0 Then
    With Rows(lngOldRow)
    .Borders(xlEdgeTop).LineStyle = xlLineStyleNone
    .Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle = xlLineStyleNone
    End With
    End If
    With Rows(lngNewRow)
    .Borders(xlEdgeTop).LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle = xlContinuous
    End With
    lngOldRow = lngNewRow
    End If
    End Sub[/codebox]

Warning: like all VBA code in Excel, this will disable the Undo feature. I would find that too high a price to pay.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761346' date='25-Feb-09 08:46']Do you use cell borders in your sheet?

I'm asking this because the code would become much more complicated if it had to take existing cell borders into account.[/quote]

Hi Hans

Yes I do, with the gridlines hidden (it is a calender Matrix). On reflection I think I will just leave row and column headings on because then the user can see the active row on the left, I was just really trying to 'pretty up' some sheets.

Also I found with the add in is that you lose the ability to drag a cell, try as I could I was unable to grab the handle in the bottom corner and drag it across

This is an example of how the February sheet looks like (sorry, not used to the new buttons, how do I attach a picture? the add image button does not give browse, it just ask for a URL address?)

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761346' date='25-Feb-09 08:46']Do you use cell borders in your sheet?

I'm asking this because the code would become much more complicated if it had to take existing cell borders into account.[/quote]
    Thanks Hans

You posted that whilst I took some time in trying to find out (unsuccessfully) how to add a picture. I think the problem is that I do use borders so as mentioned I will probably be best just showing the sidebars (editted to upload picture: sorry Hans the way my screen is set up (blind old fool mode!!) I could not see the bit down the bottom and I was playing around with all the new controls above the post)

Cheers for the input

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='761406' date='25-Feb-09 14:02']how do I attach a picture? the add image button does not give browse, it just ask for a URL address?[/quote]
    Insert Image is intended for pictures on another website, like the [image] ... [/image] tag in the old Lounge.
    To attach a picture from your hard disk, click the Browse... button, then UPLOAD.