Thread: CPU size

Thanks

CPU size

Can the size of a CPU have any effect on the download speed of a PC?

Reason I ask is someone I know replaced the CPU in their PC with one that was 0.3 GB bigger and his download speed increased by 1500kbps.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CPU size

It is possible but so MANY things impact what we think of as speed that it's very difficult to judge. Personally, If I were buying a CPU chip and faced with the difference between a 1.0 and a 1.3 I wouldn't even concern myself with such a small difference. Now, if it were a choice of a 1.0 or a 2.0 I might have to think twice. Boy, there's a ton of reading one can do about all the "influences" that impact computer speed, such as CACHE and so on.

Here's just one: How important is CPU Speed?

Thanks

Thanks Big Al.

I will check out the link.
    Catz

Thanks

I went over to my friends house and looked closely at his set up (which I knew as well as I knew mine) and the only thing that changed was the CPU.

He had an AMD 1.0 and replaced it with an AMD 1.3.

Really surprising to see the difference in download speed after changing the CPU.

We decided to remove the 1.3 and put back in the 1.0 and his download speed using Speakeasy was 4267kbps.

We put back the 1.3 and did another speed test with the same speed test and got a download of 5876 kbps.

The up load speed of 2756 never changed.

For some odd reason we all do get a very high up load speed in this area.

The best Comcast offers here for regular high speed internet is up to 6000kbps download.

I think it is odd because I always thought that a faster CPU meant that the PC its self would run faster, not affect the download speed.

(Maybe his AMD 1.3 CPU is either blessed or haunted)
    Catz

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Pauliez,

Although it might not appear that replacing a 1.0GHz CPU with 1.3GHz CPU should have much effect, bear in mind that making that change probably also affected the speed at which the RAM was being run and, possibly, the HDD interface also. It may be that those changes made the whole system run more efficiently.

As for the difference between the upload/download speeds, many ISPs throttle the upload rate, keeping it significantly lower than the download rate. The implication I'd draw from your figures is that the download speed is limited to 6000kbps, as you say, and the upload speed is limited to 3000kbps. You're never likely to see either figure being reported since the comms overhead usually isn't included in the reported speeds.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

Thanks Paul.

What ever boosted his download speed is making him and his family very happy.

I have a feeling after looking at his PC that Comcast might have come out with their little elves, in the middle of the night, and did some sort of improvements to the cable lines or equipment on his block without informing any one of the change.

(Now it is probably a matter of time before Comcast jacks up his bill for cable service).
    Catz