fxlloyd

Indexing (microsoft '97)

I have copied out the Birth announcements etc from an old newspaper and I would like to input them, preferably as I've copied them, ( but if I must put them in 'boxes', I will,) and have the list sorted alphabetically. I will be very grateful if someone can provide a solution so that I can proceed with 1863!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Indexing (microsoft '97)

You did not state what app you are using to collect this information.

I would use a Access database, or Excel spread sheet or a table in Word, in that order.

I do a some Genealogy research and find that any of the above will work. If you provide more information as what you are using, how you are 'copying' and how you would like this data to be displayed would be most helpful.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

fxlloyd

Dear Dave, Thanks for your reply; I have to use the computer in my local library and they tell me that although they have the 2000 version on their own computers, the library has the 1997 version. I have been copying in longhand the entries from the Central Somerset Gazette and the format tends to be 'To Mr Smith of Hillhead, a son' . Because I know that Hillhead is in Glastonbury I can add that for the benefit of those who don't know. When it comes to marriage entries I will probably just have to say that it is indexed by groom, since they are usually mentioned first. I would really just like to be able to copy my handwritten notes because I'm a touch typist, with the minimum of alteration, and know that by pressing a sort in alph order button, I will get the result I seek. Hope this is sufficient information and will look forward to hearing from you again. Best Wishes, Fiona - fxlloyd@hotmail.com

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A MS Access database would be the best. These can be sorted in any manner by any column. Also reports can be made from a single database based on what you have in it vs. what you want on the reports. I am no where an expert on Access, but I get what I need.

You state that you must use the computer in the library, does this mean that YOU do not have a computer of your own at home?

If so what software is on the computer that you must use?

How is the information that you are copying by long hand found, in the hard copy of the Newspaper or the online version?

You might want to checkout <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rootsweb.com> RootsWeb.com </A> for a great starting place for Family research and related information.

fxlloyd

Dear Dave, Thanks for your reply; no, I don't have my own computer but the library has Access, Power Point, Word and Excel. The newspapers I've been copying are on microfilm; thanks for the tip about rootsweb but I've been doing genealogy since 1980 so I made sure I investigated the on-line sources when I started using the internet last September. As you recommend Access, I'll get a book out on it and try that method. Best Wishes, Fiona

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think you will like Access, and dom't forget that there is a great crew at the Acces Board here at Woody's Lounge and they are ALL eager to help.

As for using the internet for Genealogy research, I have been using it for about 12 years. I have found many new family members of my wife's family and mine. Yes, it pays to be careful. I also found that a search from Google.com is very helpful in the genealogy line.