Thanks

Re: Shortcut key and macros (Office 2003)

Is it really critical for you to use Ctrl+S for your other function? It sounds as though you are "swimming against the tide" with your DMS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I moved your post to a separate thread.

Does the document management system work through an add-in (global template)? If so, the keyboard assignment is probably stored in the add-in, so it gets activated each time the add-in is loaded.

You can assign Ctrl+S to the FileSave command as follows:
    <code>
    Sub AssignCtrlS()
    CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate
    KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKeyS, wdKeyControl), _
    KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryCommand, Command:="FileSave"
    End Sub
    </code>
    It's also possible that the add-in contains a macro named FileSave. This would hijack the built-in command.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To disable Ctrl+S:
    <code>
    Sub DisableCtrlS()
    CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate
    FindKey(BuildKeyCode(wdKeyS, wdKeyControl)).Disable
    End Sub
    </code>
    But I agree with Jefferson.

Thanks

Thanks to both of you for the info. I am sure that the DMS wants to assign ^S to the save command to ensure that the DMS is called when a document is saved. However, i use ^S for something else (I still use WordStar keystrokes in Word, so it moves the cursor one character to the left). There are other commands to trigger the DMS HumSave macro (I've assigned other WordStar keystrokes to it, which do stick). What's strange is that I have a former normal.dot, which may be experiencing a bit of corruption because of the "arrange all window" command (and I posted a thread on this one as well a few days ago), where the ^S form HumSave DOESN'T reassign itself! Because of corrupted normal.dot, I needed to create a new, clean normal.dot, copy in all my WordStar macro code, and then reassign a few keystrokes. However, it's only in this new normal.dot where the ^S won't stay deleted. So, I'll try the disable code cause I want to disable it in the normal.dot and make that stick. It's assigned otherwise in my WordStar global template. Thx. -Rich.

Thanks

Shortcut key and macros (Office 2003)

Hans, we have a doc management system that runs Word macros to save files. ^S gets assigned to one of the macros. I have ^S assigned to do something else. I keep using the Keyboard customization feature to delete the ^S from the doc mgmt system macro, but whenever I exit and re-start Word, it comes back. My thought is that the macro itself is re-assigning the ^S key. I tried to record a macro deleting the ^S key assignment, but it didn't work (I got limited code). Do you know of a way I could do this? I was going to put the macro in auto open with some other auto open code so it would take care of itself when I re-opened Word. Thx. -Rich