2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vertical text alignment in text box - Word 2007 (2007)

I'm working on a document in "compatibility mode."

When I open the Format Auto Shape/Text Box tab, I am unable to select one of the three Vertical Alignment icons/buttons. I can't find any way to adjust the text position in a text box.

I experimented by copying this text box into a new test document, (which presumably was in Word's "07" mode) and was able to use the vertical alignment controls to center the text. Then I completed the experiment by saving this test document in compatibility mode, and the text in the text box popped back from center to top alignment, and the controls became unselectable again.

I gather that W07 has two different graphics engines and that this causes some problems. Has anyone else run into this text box issue, and is there some kind of workaround?
    Stylus

Thanks

Re: Vertical text alignment in text box - Word 2007 (2007)

If you work in compatibility mode, doesn't that mean that you won't have features that are new to Word 2007? As far as I can see, vertical text alignment in text boxes is not something you can control in Word 2003, which I use (though you can control it in table cells). So in compatibility mode, you can't do it.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Ian Wilson notes, the idea of compatibility mode is to disable features that aren't available in earlier versions, so that you can share the document with users who don't have Word 2007. You can't expect to disable such features AND use them...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

I was confusing W03 with the formatting available in Visio.

Disturbing though to actually SEE formatting created in W07 (vertically centered text in a text box) will shift to "top" position when the doc is in compatibility mode. I didn't take the little warning dialog about layout too seriously...

I wonder what happens if Muddlesoft's compatibility package is installed. Is W07 formatting left as is?
    Stylus

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I doubt it - the package adds file converters so that earlier versions of Word can read and write .docx files. I don't think the package adds Word 2007 features to earlier versions.