Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Office Pro for XP on Vista (Vista Home Premium)

Think I know answer but ... can I load my Office Pro CD for XP into my Vista machine? Since I had to purchase a new suite with this computer, I suspect not, but I need Publisher to access and edit our business cards and my new suite doesn't have that program! Or do you have any other solution that does not involve the outlay of more money??!! Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office Pro for XP on Vista (Vista Home Premium)

Office XP will still work on Windows Vista. But if you have a newer version of Office (Office 2003 or 2007) installed on your Vista PC, it's probably best to
    - Uninstall the newer version of Office
    - Install Office XP (or only Publisher)
    - Reinstall the newer version.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I understand. Just realized, in my first message, that I was confused. The program I was talking about is Office Pro 2003 for Windows XP. Just to confuse you more, my CD is Office Pro SP2. I'm beginning to suspect that I purchased Office XP and upgraded via the Web to Office Pro 2003 when it became available; then, in 2007, requested a CD to install SP2. All this was on my old PC and a few years ago which is why I'm a bit fuzzy on details. Will the SP2 disk have what I need to install Publisher? Will any data be harmed by uninstalling Office 2007 for Home and Students (the version I bought and have installed now?).

Thanks very much for your help. I'm sorry to not be clearer!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure whether your Office 2003 SP2 CD will contain Publisher, perhaps someone else will know (traditionally, Publisher came on a separate CD from the "main" Office CD). I'd wait until you get a definitive reply before modifying your current setup.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know whether your CD has Publisher either, but you can start an installation, check what is available and then cancel without doing any harm.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. Thanks, Hans and Stuart.

One question: do I need to uninstall the Office 2007 suite I'm using first? Or can I check the files on the CD first (if that's doable!). Would love to know before going through an uninstall and reinstall!

Linda

PS Sorry to be slow getting back - forgot to check the "send me email notification" button last time!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can check using the Office 2003 CD without uninstalling Office 2007; as long as you don't finish the installation, no files will be added/removed/changed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Great. Thanks. Will do so and let you know what I find out.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='760563' date='23-Feb-09 02:39']You can check using the Office 2003 CD without uninstalling Office 2007; as long as you don't finish the installation, no files will be added/removed/changed.[/quote]
    Hans, I've now checked what's on the disk and, duh, can't tell from file names if I have the whole program or just the files needed to "sp2-ize" Office Pro 2003. Here's what I found:
    1. First, 4 file folders
    - CD Launch
    - AUTORUN.inf
    - SP2
    - SP2 Install.htm (firefox file)
    2. Inside SP2 were:
    - Client File
    - Full File
    3. Inside Full file were 4:
    - FRREFORM.exe 228 KP
    - Office 2003SP2 101 KB
    - PTK 2003SP2 30.5 MB
    - OneNote 30.8 KB
    2. Inside the Client folder were 2 more:
    - Office2003 SP2 KB...Client Enu.exe
    - PKT2003 SP2 KB...Client Enu.exe

Does any of this sound like what I need to find good old Publisher? None of the files seems huge enough to be the whole Office Pro Suite!

I'm stumped!

Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='761138' date='24-Feb-09 21:47']I'm stumped![/quote]
    It is VERY easy to check. Just start the installation, look to see if Publisher is listed as one of the options, and then cancel the installation again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='761143' date='24-Feb-2009 21:51']It is VERY easy to check. Just start the installation, look to see if Publisher is listed as one of the options, and then cancel the installation again.[/quote]

I just had to reinstall Office 2003 on a new Vista machine. I noticed during the installation that Publisher is an option you can select.

You can install Office 2003 even with Office 2007 installed. I did this on a friend's new laptop and Office 2003 starts just fine.

Have any of you tried to install WOPR 2003 on your Vista machine? I can't get my copy to run. I have another post under the Windows Vista section describubg the error message I get.

Thanks
    [quote name='pdef1949' post='770237' date='12-Apr-2009 21:59']I just had to reinstall Office 2003 on a new Vista machine. I noticed during the installation that Publisher is an option you can select.

You can install Office 2003 even with Office 2007 installed. I did this on a friend's new laptop and Office 2003 starts just fine.

Have any of you tried to install WOPR 2003 on your Vista machine? I can't get my copy to run. I have another post under the Windows Vista section describubg the error message I get.[/quote]
    pdef1949,
    You really should get a few facts straight before posting.

First of all, you can install multiple versions of Office on the same machine, but as it has already been stated in this thread, the proper sequence is to install in the sequence of OLDER version to NEWER version.

Secondly, Publisher MAY be an option, but it is dependent on WHAT VERSION of Office you have. Publisher is NOT available in all versions of Office.

Thirdly, PLEASE DON'T HIJACK THREADS!!!. This is the THIRD TIME (in three different posts) that you have asked about WOPR 2003. One of those posts has already been deleted by the administrators, along with a request that you NOT post the same questions in multiple forums. I fear that if you continue to ignore the protocol and the rules of these forums, you may lose any further posting privileges.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='761143' date='24-Feb-2009 21:51']It is VERY easy to check. Just start the installation, look to see if Publisher is listed as one of the options, and then cancel the installation again.[/quote]

Stuart,

Thank you so much for your reply and I am so sorry not to have replied to you! I hadn't realized you had replied so I must have neglected to check the "email notification" box! I understand your suggestion and will try it; however, before I do, I have since learned some additional information I would appreciate your input on.

You will see from previous post, that the 2003 CD I have is, I suspect, just an SP2 one. The CD I have that I know is a complete Office suite is an Office XP one. I had bought XP, planning to upgrade via on-line download as soon as 2003 came out (it was within weeks of being available). Would I be better to use the XP CD to search for Publisher first? Or should I see if the program is on the SP2 2003 CD first, using the method you suggested?

I am going to put this in Marked Threads as well so I don't lose your replies again!

Many thanks,

Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='770316' date='13-Apr-2009 17:18']You will see from previous post, that the 2003 CD I have is, I suspect, just an SP2 one. The CD I have that I know is a complete Office suite is an Office XP one. I had bought XP, planning to upgrade via on-line download as soon as 2003 came out (it was within weeks of being available). Would I be better to use the XP CD to search for Publisher first? Or should I see if the program is on the SP2 2003 CD first, using the method you suggested?[/quote]
    If you install multiple versions of Microsoft Office on the same PC then you must always install the older version first and then install the more recent version.

If you have publisher on the Office XP CD, then this would be Publisher 2002. If you wanted to install this on a system that also has Office 2003 installed then the only way to do this is to completely deinstall Office 2003, then install Publisher 2002, then reinstall Office 2003.

So, I would strongly recommend trying your Office 2003 CD first, as if this works it will be very easy.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='770316' date='13-Apr-2009 11:18']You will see from previous post, that the 2003 CD I have is, I suspect, just an SP2 one. The CD I have that I know is a complete Office suite is an Office XP one.[/quote]

As Stuart suggested you can certainly try the SP2 CD but I doubt it will work. It appears from your prior description of the SP2 CD that all it contains is Service Pack 2 NOT the complete installation package.

You'll need the complete installation package to install Publisher. Did you save the web upgrade files?

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast