Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Cataloguing frustrations

This is not about cataloguing your frustrations but about frustrations with cataloguing, which is a general database question.

Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center are examples of products that allow you to catalogue your media and access them, in theory, conveniently. In practice, I find that I end up with a million duplicates with no convenient or rational access, and I become very frustrated with the whole affair. I also use Picasa, which lets me organize photos (and I will admit to having duplicates in different folders), and I use Font Navigator, which lets me organize fonts. Font groups are an example of working toward a setup that lets me find what I am looking for when it’s not fresh in my mind, or when I have a specialized need but can’t think of what to use, or when I just want to browse through the groups. Playlists for music and slideshows for photos are common.

Databases must be kept up to date, but the programs (or my practices) seem susceptible to duplicate entries, for which the only cure appears to be to clear everything out and start over, while preserving my personal groups. Is there an easy way to eliminate duplicates in the catalogue? I realize that there should be a single source if you are going to edit the original or use a copy of it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='760539' date='22-Feb-09 16:08']Is there an easy way to eliminate duplicates in the catalogue?[/quote]
    Only way I know is to delete the library file and have WMP rebuild it. The library file(s) will be in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\ and will be named "CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb" where ### is numeric. The rebuild will take some time.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='762087' date='27-Feb-2009 09:42']Only way I know is to delete the library file and have WMP rebuild it. The library file(s) will be in Cocuments and Settings<username>Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftMedia Player and will be named "CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb" where ### is numeric. The rebuild will take some time.[/quote]

My music cataloguing problem has been pleasantly solved with the FREE MediaJukebox12, which appears to be the latest incarnation of MuchMusic Jukebox (before Yahoo took it
    over). In my case it is familiar (and improved), but I recommend it to anyone who is having cataloguing troubles with music, especially given that it is free.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry. Not a solution. Just a confirmation of your frustrations.

I use the original MusicMatch Jukebox, the latest WinAmp Pro, and occasionally WMP. In each case, whenever I make changes (additions or deletions) in the My Music folder, I must delete the respective libraries, and let the applications rebuild them from scratch. None of the three applications will keep their database (libraries) up to date. During the setup routines for each app, it is necessary to determine which folder to "watch". But none of these apps watch very well!

[quote name='peterg' post='760539' date='22-Feb-2009 17:08']This is not about cataloguing your frustrations but about frustrations with cataloguing, which is a general database question.

Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center are examples of products that allow you to catalogue your media and access them, in theory, conveniently. In practice, I find that I end up with a million duplicates with no convenient or rational access, and I become very frustrated with the whole affair. I also use Picasa, which lets me organize photos (and I will admit to having duplicates in different folders), and I use Font Navigator, which lets me organize fonts. Font groups are an example of working toward a setup that lets me find what I am looking for when it’s not fresh in my mind, or when I have a specialized need but can’t think of what to use, or when I just want to browse through the groups. Playlists for music and slideshows for photos are common.

Databases must be kept up to date, but the programs (or my practices) seem susceptible to duplicate entries, for which the only cure appears to be to clear everything out and start over, while preserving my personal groups. Is there an easy way to eliminate duplicates in the catalogue? I realize that there should be a single source if you are going to edit the original or use a copy of it.[/quote]
    - Ricky

Lounger
    Thanks
    In Winamp 5.541- have you tried pressing the Library button at the bottom, then clicking on 'Rescan Watch Folders ( in background )' ? After that is complete , select Video under Local Media on the left hand side, then press Audio. After the database has refreshed you will see the updated contents of the Audio Library. I've got almost 350 GB ( 98 days ) of music in my library and have no problems updating it following these steps.
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='764124' date='07-Mar-2009 22:00']My music cataloguing problem has been pleasantly solved with the FREE MediaJukebox12[/quote]
    I installed it today and can't figure out how to get it to import all the MP3 files in a series of subfolders, which it says it will do. There are nothing but MP3 files by various genres in these subfolders, but what's crazy is that it imports some, seemingly at random, while skipping others entirely. I selected the MP3 folder and this whole structure has nothing to do with any Windows created folders. I don't use "My... anything" folders, period!

Must I have it import each subfolder individually or do you have any idea what I'm (probably) doing wrong? See attached for an example.

[attachment=82751:2009_03_09_190311.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='764501' date='10-Mar-2009 06:17']I installed it today and can't figure out how to get it to import all the MP3 files in a series of subfolders, which it says it will do. There are nothing but MP3 files by various genres in these subfolders, but what's crazy is that it imports some, seemingly at random, while skipping others entirely. I selected the MP3 folder and this whole structure has nothing to do with any Windows created folders. I don't use "My... anything" folders, period!

Must I have it import each subfolder individually or do you have any idea what I'm (probably) doing wrong? See attached for an example.

[attachment=82751:2009_03_09_190311.png][/quote]

I may have an unusual library in that it is almost exclusively my own audio CDs ripped directly to computer. This means that my primary scheme for the catalog is by album title. For most entries the program will look up and fill in the additional details (artist, track number, duration, title, and the rather haphazard 'genre'). In my case it is very easy, and I agree that your example looks like a nightmare. The setup is user-friendly for my purposes because it suits my procedure perfectly, and I don't have to worry about filling in too much information manually, although there is a certain amount of that as well. I am definitely not familiar enough with the manual to offer any advice about how to get it to work for you, but it could have been designed for me because it handles my needs so well.

For my purposes this free program is superb, although I was a paid subscriber to MusicMatch Jukebox so to some extent have already paid my bit, and as I remarked, the program is familiar. I note that the current version of this program is forty bucks, and much as I might like to have it for superior sound quality (which would require re-ripping the entire library), this version is fine for my purposes and pocketbook.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='764971' date='12-Mar-2009 02:34']I may have an unusual library in that it is almost exclusively my own audio CDs ripped directly to computer.[/quote]
    Thanks for coming back! Yeah, my stuff is a collection of music from lots of sources. Like you, many were ripped from my own CDs, some are free content found in various places on the web and yet others are songs I've purchased one-for-one from ITUNES, burned to a CD (which is allowable) and THEN ripped the songs back to MP3 format.

Anyway, while waiting to hear from you I did import the songs in each directory, one folder at a time and created playlists which duplicate the folder structure. It took a little time but it was a repetitive process and not difficult. Now I've got to play and read whatever I can. One thing that may have stood in my way is that when I installed, I DIDN'T allow it to take any "associations" for itself and that may be a problem.

Thanks for writing back...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='764501' date='09-Mar-2009 16:17']Must I have it import each subfolder individually or do you have any idea what I'm (probably) doing wrong?[/quote]

Wot, no Jimi Hendrix?

Though I have a lifetime MMJB license I use iTunes exclusively now to synch with my aging Nano. iTunes does not have a problem sucking in every mp3 and m4* file it finds under the selected parent directory. But it does not look for duplicates, except when you attempt to copy one to your synch playlist.

There were some other things about MMJB, around V8, that caused me to be annoyed with it. The interface to WMC is just too "don't touch that, let Microsoft decide what is best for you". WinAmp is OK, but the layout annoys me; I find it easier to find tunes in iTunes.
    UTC -7DS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='764124' date='07-Mar-2009 19:00']My music cataloguing problem has been pleasantly solved with the MediaJukebox12[/quote]
    Does the free version 12 burn?

(I'm not so sure that MediaJukeBox is the successor to Yahoo Music Jukebox (formerly MMJB) - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_...Jukebox#Demise)
    UTC -7DS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='765115' date='12-Mar-2009 14:20']Wot, no Jimi Hendrix? [/quote]
    Heh, heh... You can't see what's underneath the folder called ROCK and Country. All kinds of old timers in there and I ain't tellin'...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='765116' date='13-Mar-2009 02:23']Does the free version 12 burn?

(I'm not so sure that MediaJukeBox is the successor to Yahoo Music Jukebox (formerly MMJB) - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Music_Jukebox#Demise)[/quote]

Yes it does burn, but I haven't tried it.

The reason I believe that it is a successor to MusicMatch Jukebox is that the genres are the same ('vocal' could be broken down into many different genres, and in my case it is or will be), but the clincher is that the CD contents include many non-mainstream CDs, notably from BBC Music magazine, that I personally contributed the data to MusicMatch for, and many of the mistakes I personally made are still there.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='765127' date='12-Mar-2009 13:26']I believe that it is a successor to MusicMatch Jukebox is that the genres are the same ...(and) ... the CD contents include many non-mainstream CDs, notably from BBC Music magazine, that I personally contributed the data to MusicMatch for, and many of the mistakes I personally made are still there.[/quote]
    That only means that the two products both use(d) the same CD data server, probably CDDB, possibly freeDB.
    UTC -7DS

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    For those who followed this thread with interest, I should report that Microsoft won for my audio purposes. (This was a surprise to me too.)

I wish I had known more about it before I started, but Windows Media Player is extremely good at ripping and providing the data for music CDs for those of us with a pile of CDs a mile high to rip. I realize that the data source is not Microsoft's, but they seemed to have the details for my collection (but not many cover photos). Among the features is the ability to adjust fidelity and file type and size to suit your purposes, and if you are ripping from CDs for your own use you may want to study that before you start. Windows Vista Inside Out (by Ed Bott et al.) is one book that has a long and detailed discussion of the application.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='767964' date='28-Mar-2009 07:24']... but Windows Media Player is extremely good at ripping and providing the data for music CDs for those of us with a pile of CDs a mile high to rip.[/quote]

I have a lot of CD's that I might like to rip but am daunted by the task of doing each one individually. Is there some external USB connected device that would allow for stacking, reading and ripping multiple CD's, one after another?

I know there are services that do this but I don't feel like boxing and carting all my CD's to them. A auto feeder type device would be nice.

Also, related to CD's - when I look at a CD in Windows Explorer, I see a bunch of .CDA files but can't see the real size of the files on the CD. How can I find this info for any CD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast