5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying pst file (Outlook 2003)

I cannot follow the Outlook add-in for backing up emails. I never see my pst file there. We move emails to a pst folder from our inbox folder, as I understand it. So I have my pst folders and journal folders located in the emails folder in MyDocuments. But whenever I try to copy, simply just copy, the files to either my personal folder on the server or to a 320GB Western Digital drive, I get this arguement about how there is not enough room and I have to delete files etc. Well, there is enough room. My pst file is 8GB, so it should fit onto a 320GB drive. I searched earlier posts and I do have full permissions. I get nervous when such a major file can't be backed up. Any suggestions? I'm getting pst-off!TYIA

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Copying pst file (Outlook 2003)

If your PST file is 8 gigs, then your destination drive MUST be a NTFS type, as FAT 32 has a 4 GIG limit!

This is the standard error message when one is trying to copy a file that is to large.,

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great information, thanks. How to I convert to NTFS? Will it still accept the FAT ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='762922' date='02-Mar-2009 15:49'][/quote]

See How to Use Convert.exe to Convert a Partition to the NTFS File System for instructions on how to perform the conversion.

Pay attention to the NOTE about data corruption. I've never experienced any problems doing a conversion but you are well advised to backup any data on the disk that you don't want to lose before starting the process.

As long as you are going to use the drive on a Windows PC you should not have any problems after the conversion.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada' post='760541 View Post
    If your PST file is 8 gigs, then your destination drive MUST be a NTFS type, as FAT 32 has a 4 GIG limit! This is the standard error message when one is trying to copy a file that is to large.
    Have you checked that both the server and the 320Gb drive (I assume theye are two separate drives from the way you wrote it) are FAT? You can see for your self by right-clicking each drive and checking Properties | General. Although many older external drives were sold formatted as FAT32, it seems strange to me that a server would still use FAT when NTFS is more stable.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='762922' date='02-Mar-2009 14:49']How to I convert to NTFS? Will it still accept the FAT?[/quote]
    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS