Thread: FAQ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Threaded Mode

Whilst we were testing the lounge, some of the Moderators and WMVPs put together the following FAQs.

Click the icon to jump to an article.
    • How do I check which e-mail address is currently used by the Lounge? / How do I change my e-mail address? / Can I enter more than one e-mail address?
    • Why do I NOT have a Spell check Icon?
    • How do I add a User Picture (Avatar)? / How do I change my User Picture (Avatar)? / My User Picture (Avatar) is too big, how do I change it?
    • What is a Personal Photo? / How do I add a Personal Photo? / How do I change my Personal Photo?
    • Adding Or Removing Attachments To/From A Post
    • How do I change from threaded to flat view and back again
    • Forum Subscriptions
    • Where Is Woody's Lounge Main Index?
    • What's On The "Forum Home" Page?

I hope you find them useful.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: FAQ for the new lounge - E-mail address

Spell Checker

Question Why do I NOT have a Spell check Icon?

Answer Some browsers such as FireFox and Chrome have built in spell checkers so the Lounge icon is not displayed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

User Picture (Avatar)

User Picture (Avatar)

Q: How do I add a User Picture (Avatar)? / How do I change my User Picture (Avatar)? / My User Picture (Avatar) is too big, how do I change it?

A: All present User Pictures are imported to the new Lounge. If you do not already have a User Picture and want to add one, or change the one you already have, open your control panel.

To open your control panel you click on "My Controls" at the top of any page. In the Menu to the left under Personal Profile you will find "Edit Avatar Settings". With these settings you can view your current User Picture (Avatar) and change it by uploading a new picture or removing the old picture.

There is a limit in the size; the User Picture (Avatar) can be no bigger than 150x150 pixels and must be no larger than 50 kB. The following file types are allowed: gif, jpg, jpeg, png.

Uploaded images will be auto scaled to stay within 150x150 pixels and still keep the aspect ratio. In the old Lounge the size limits were 65x75 pixels and 5 kB, and all uploaded images were scaled to fit this size if they were bigger.

Since the old Lounge scaled the size of the images down to 65x75 pixels you may now find that your User Picture (Avatar) is bigger than it previously were. If the size is not the desired one, you can use some different programs to resize the old User Picture (Avatar) before you upload it again.

You can also choose a User Picture (Avatar) from one of the three galleries (under Pre-installed avatars).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Personal Photo

Personal Photo

Q: What is a Personal Photo? / How do I add a Personal Photo? / How do I change my Personal Photo?

A: A Personal Photo is an optional photo to be used in your profile and which can be viewed by other members. It is shown at the top left in the Profile for any member as well as in different member listings that shows profile cards with a basic summary of the user, and their photo if they have one.

To add or change a Personal Photo, open your control panel.

To open your control panel you click on "My Controls" at the top of any page. In the Menu to the left under Personal Profile you will find "Change Personal Photo". Here you can view your current Personal Photo (at default a generic picture) and change it by uploading a new picture or removing the old picture (it will then be replaced by a generic picture).

There is a limit in the -size; the Personal Photo can be no bigger than 150x150 pixels and must be no larger than 50 kB. The following file types are allowed: gif, jpg, jpeg, png.

Uploaded images will be auto scaled to stay within 150x150 pixels and still keep the aspect ratio.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FAQ for the new lounge - E-mail address

Q: How do I check which e-mail address is currently used by the Lounge? / How do I change my e-mail address? / Can I enter more than one e-mail address?

A: To view or change the e-mail address you use the control panel.
    • To check your current e-mail address, click "Controls" in the header at the top of the page (any page). Your e-mail address is shown on the first page in the control panel under "Your account summary". It is only available to the administrators and is used if forum notifications are sent out to you.
    • To change your e-mail address, use the Options inside your control panel. To the left and at the bottom of the page you will find "Change Email Address". You will need to confirm the new e-mail address and supply your password and a Security Code Confirmation (reCAPTCHA), i.e. enter the words you see in the box.

Note: If you use white-list software, such as NoScript, for selective use of JavaScript etc. you will need to enable JavaScript for recaptcha.net (for the Security Code Confirmation), either temporarily or permanently.

Also note: as mentioned, by default, the e-mail address will be hidden from other Loungers. You can change this and other settings at "Email Settings" under Options in your control panel. There is no separate, dedicated, setting for a public e-mail address to be displayed in a Lounger's profile to be viewed by all Loungers. If a public e-mail address is desired it can be put at some different places. A good place to put a public e-mail address can be in the profile's 'About me' page.
    [attachment=82052:Options.PNG]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FAQ for the new lounge

Adding Or Removing Attachments To/From A Post

1) What is an attachment?
    An attachment is a file that you have uploaded from your LOCAL computer and included in a post on the lounge. An attachment is NOT a link to another web site, or an image that is on another web site, or an email address. Those three types of inclusions to a post are all possible with icons shown in the post composition window and refer to elements at other web sites or an email address. (Figure 1 shows the buttons for including these)

[attachment=82392:Figure_1.GIF]

2) How do I include an attachment in a post?
    When you are in the post composition window, you will see below and to the right an area as shown in Figure 2. First you should click the Browse button, enabling you to locate the file on your local hard drive(s). Then click the Upload button and a copy of the file will be uploaded to The Lounge. The "original" of that file will remain untouched on your hard drive. Finally, place the cursor at the point where you want the attachment to appear in your post, click Manage Current Attachments and click the Icon with the green + sign. This will create an [attachment...] tag in the post showing where the attachment will appear. If you want to move it to a different position within the post, you can cut and paste the [attachment...] tag.

[attachment=82393:Figure_2.GIF] [attachment=82394:Figure_3.GIF]

Please note that more than one attachment may be included in your post by repeating the browse, upload and selection procedure just described. If you upload any attachments and do NOT position them somewhere in the post, they will be shown at the bottom of your post content, but the [attachment...] tag will not be visible.

3) What file extensions are allowed in an attachment?
    The currently approved list of file extensions for inclusion in a post is as follows: .aiff, .bmp, .css, .doc, .docx, .gif, .gz, .hqx, .htm, .html, .ico, .jpeg, .jpg, .mov, .mp3, .mpg, .pdf, .php, .png, .ppt, .pptx, .ps, .ram, .rtf, .swf, .tar, .tiff, .txt, .viv, .wav, .wmv, .xls, .xlsx, .xml, .zip. File extensions may be added to or removed from this list by the Administrators of The Lounge. If you need to include a file with a different attachment then you should zip it and attach the zip file to your post.

4) How do I remove an attachment from A post?
    You can remove an attachment from a post when you are editing the post. Simply click on Manage Current Attachments and click the red x sign to delete the attachment. You should also delete the [Attachment...] tag from the post if it exists.
    [attachment=82395:Figure_4.GIF]
    You can also delete attachments from your Control Panel. Click Controls in the menu at the top of any lounge screen to open your Control Panel and in the left pane you will see a link called Manage Your Attachments. Clicking that link will open a screen, part of which is shown in Figure 3. Now you have the ability to review ALL of your Lounge attachments by scanning the pages shown in the window. When you locate the attachment that you want to remove, click the check box at the right to place a check in that box. You may delete more than one if you like. At the bottom of that screen, your final step is to click the button that says Delete Selected.

Please use care in doing this procedure because as soon as you click that "Delete Selected" button, the attachment is immediately REMOVED from the post! If you want to preview the attachment before you delete it, you can do so by clicking the attachment name in the column called Attachment.
    [attachment=82396:Figure_5.GIF]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Q: How do I change from threaded to flat view and back again

A: The default view shows an entire thread. If you prefer something similar to the old threaded mode then
    • Click the Options button at the top of any post
    • Choose Outline Display Mode

[attachment=82397isplayModes.gif]
    This mode will remain in force even if you move to another forum after making the change.To change back you should select Standard Display Mode.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Forum Subscriptions

1) What is a Forum Subscription?
    At the present time, The Lounge contains more than 40 forums covering a wide range of topics. The top level index page can take up three or more screenfuls of "real estate" to view all of those forum titles. In order to give each Lounger the ability to customize that list to one containing only the forums the Lounger visits on a recurring basis, we have a feature called Forum Subscriptions, the entry to which is in your Control Panel. The link for your Control Panel is on the navigation bar at the top of each screen (Controls).
    2) How do I create a Forum Subscription?
    From the top level Lounge index page, select the forum which you would like to add to your Subscriptions and open it so you can see all the threads contained in the forum. In the upper right corner you will see a Forum Options dropdown button. Click it to reveal a window as in this graphic:

[attachment=82383:Fave_Forum_Options.png]

Click the selection called Subscribe to this forum and you will be presented with a secondary selection screen of "notification" choices. You may select one of the radio buttons to choose whether or how often you will be notified of activity in that forum. In this example, I have selected no email notification. Then click the Proceed button at the bottom of the screen.

[attachment=82384:Fave_Not...ns_Email.png]

At this point your subscription to that forum is complete and you will be returned to the list of threads in that forum. If you have more forums you would like to subscribe to at this time, click the Woody's Lounge link at the top left of your screen to return to the main index page. You may then select and open another forum and repeat the steps listed above to add more forums to your subscription list.
    3) How do I view and use my Forum Subscription list?
    Click the Controls button on the navigation bar of any Lounge screen and your personal Control Panel will open. In the left pane you will see a section as shown in this picture:

[attachment=82385:Fave_Ctr...riptions.png]

Clicking the View Forums selection will open a window as shown in this screenshot:

[attachment=82386:Fave_Lis...avorites.png]

As you can see by the highlighted icons, the forums with new posts are shown with a darker icon so you can visit the ones you would like to review. As you read the new posts in that forum and click the button at the lower right corner to return to that forum, you will be able to read all of the posts of interest to you. If you read all of the posts and continue, the darker icon will change to the lighter colored one, indicating that there are no more posts to be read in that forum. Under normal circumstances, you will then click the Woody's Lounge link at the top left of your screen to return to the main index screen, from where you would start again by clicking once more the Controls button and repeating these "reading" steps. Now I will show you how to simplify THAT procedure with a one-click shortcut to your customized forum subscriptions!
    4) How do I "streamline" my use of my Forum Subscriptions?
    Here is a "one-click" method to access your customized forum subscriptions, saving a click or two! This procedure involves adding an entry to your Personal Bookmarks bar in Firefox or your Links bar in Internet Explorer (IE). The following URL is a direct link to your personal Forum Subscriptions window in The Lounge. You must already be logged in to The Lounge in order for this link to function:

Your Personal Forum Subscriptions

Clicking the above link will take you DIRECTLY to your personal Forum Subscription screen as shown in paragraph 3 above. That should save you one or two clicks. We'll now place that link in our browser so that, as you review posts in a forum and are ready to move on to another forum, you will click this link in your browser and go directly back to your subscriptions window.

In IE your must add the code for the above link to your Links Toolbar. Further details about that process are outside the scope of this FAQ, but here's a graphic showing how it will appear at the top of each of your browser windows. You can of course assign whatever name you choose for this link during the creation process:

[attachment=82387:Fave_IE_Link.png]

And here is a picture of that same code, added as a bookmark on a Firefox Personal Toolbar line:

[attachment=82388:Fave_Fir...Bookmark.png]
    Now your personal Forum Subscriptions are only one click away from any browser window you happen to be viewing, as long as you are already logged in to The Lounge. Happy browsing and lounging!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Where Is Woody's Lounge Main Index?

1) What's happened to the Main Index page of Woody's Lounge?
    The web URL http://www.wopr.com/ leads to The Lounge and you may have used it already if you are reading this FAQ. The main page is now known as Forum Home instead of the Main Index that it was called within our earlier forum software. This software sports a new look and I'd like to point out a little about the Forum Home "landscape" to help acquaint you with browsing around here in The Lounge.
    2) How do I RETURN to the Forum Home page after I've been browsing a forum or other stuff in The Lounge?
    After you have left the Forum Home page to browse a forum, make a post, work in your Control Panel or whatever, you will see a link in the upper left corner of every page. It's called Woody's Lounge and is located just below where your Lounge Username appears. Clicking this link will return you to the Forum Home page. This graphic shows that view:
    [attachment=82493:Lounge_Upper_Left.png]
    There is another option that appears on many Lounge pages, especially within each forum. In the lower right corner there is a dropdown selector which used to be called "Jump" in our previous software. Opening this dropdown will allow you to select any forum OR the Forum Home page which is at the top of the list. See this picture:
    [attachment=82497:Lounge_F...er_Right.png]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What's On The "Forum Home" Page?

Woody's Lounge Forum Home page (formerly called Main Index) has several items of interest or possible importance to Loungers. Here are a few.

1) The main body of the Forum Home page.
    On the right side of the page, on the title line for each of The Lounge Categories, there is an icon which allows a user to collapse or expand the visible forums in that category. This is sometimes helpful if you are trying to save a bit of screen "real estate" or if the forums in that category are not of interest to you. The graphic below shows a few of those icons.

Within each category, all the forums listed have an icon just to the left of the date that will take a user directly to the most recent post in that forum. After reading the most recent post you may return to the forum list or the home page as described elsewhere in these FAQs. This graphic also shows the icon for most recent post viewing.
    [attachment=82531:Lounge_Sections.png]
    2) Links in the upper right corner of the page.
    In the upper right corner of the Forum Home page are a number of links that Loungers will be using. Two of those are worthy of mention here. The link called Controls opens the personal Control Panel for each user. In the Control Panel you will select many of the customizable options for YOUR Lounging, such as avatar, personal photo, bio information and many other elements of your Lounge experience. Most Loungers will visit their Control Panel periodically and new members are encouraged to do so to make preference selections soon after registering in The Lounge.

Another item in that same area is the link to your Personal Messenger. Onscreen it is called New Messages but may be clicked to access your PM area whether you have new messages or not. Access to enable or disable your Personal Messenger is in your Control Panel in the section called Board Settings. Also in that same area of your Profile is a selection to receive notification of a PM onscreen while you are logged on. Regardless of how you set that choice, you are encouraged to keep an eye on the upper right corner of the Forum Home page to monitor the presence of any new PMs.
    [attachment=82532:Lounge_Upper_Right.png]
    3) Lounge Statistics.
    In the lower left corner of the Forum Home page is the Lounge Statistics area which contains information about the number of members, new members, post volume, birthdays and other interesting information about The Lounge.

One area here that is of interest to many Loungers is an indication of who is currently logged on and what they are presently viewing. You will see there a list of member users, color coded by Admin, Moderator, WMVP or regular member. It also shows number of guests and anonymous members. If you click one of the links highlighted in the following graphic you can see what forum or page in The Lounge the members and guests are viewing.
    [attachment=82533:Lounge_Lower_Left.png]