New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a query re the attched example life where i'm not sure if i should be using a series of IF statements or combining with look ups or even an index function.

What i am trying to acheive on the summary sheet is the following:

1. when a new record is added onto the 'course record' sheet, i would like the hours worked on that course to link through to the 'summary' sheet (as shown for d jones highlighted in yellow)

2. i would also like when new names are added to the 'course record' that they are added automatically to the summary sheet if they haven't been listed previously ie they are attending a course for the first time

I seem to be going round in circles working out the best way of acheiving this. Any help would be appreciated

Sarah
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a perfect job for a pivot table!
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pieterse' post='760915' date='Feb 24 2009, 03:10 PM']This is a perfect job for a pivot table![/quote]

Hi yes i have been trying to get them to have a pivot table but they're not too comfortable with that.

Any alternatives?

Thanks
    The only other way to automatically do it is relatively complicated code. I think the comfort level of built-in pivot table is much higher than the comfort level of custom code to do essentially the same thing. Why reinvent the wheel?

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sarahf' post='760925' date='24-Feb-09 16:25']Hi yes i have been trying to get them to have a pivot table but they're not too comfortable with that.[/quote]
    I would try a little harder. Maybe organise a small class on Pivot tables. They will be amazed what they can achieve using a proper Pivot Table and you will score big points.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association