Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Word 2000 that I have been useing on my PC for the last 2 years. I am using Vista Home Priemum. When ever I hit the idon to open Word it comes up but all the tool bars or not there at all. If I try to type something into the blank part of the page it just says that "Word Is not responding" I went and unintalled it and then reinstalled it and it still does the same thing. I can't use it at all. Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get it to work like it used to? I need to get this to work real bad.

Thanks
    'Ken Reedy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='760987' date='24-Feb-09 16:45']Try Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word.[/quote]

I went and tried all that was on the that site and the only thing that has changed is that now all the toolbars come up and can be seen but when I click any of them or they to type something into the blank space I stll get the "not responding" error and it will not respond on it's own no matter how long I wait for it to. This site said that it was a fix for Word 2002 & 2003. I have Word 2000. I don't know if that makes any differenc or not. So can you please tell me some other way to get this to work???

Thanks
    Ken Reedy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Phil Rabichow's post is for Word 2000 too.

Doesn't Word work even if you start it using winword.exe /a as described in the troubleshooting guide?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761455' date='25-Feb-09 15:32']Phil Rabichow's post is for Word 2000 too.

Doesn't Word work even if you start it using winword.exe /a as described in the troubleshooting guide?[/quote]

It will come and work that way so how do I get it to work using the icons??

Thanks
    Ken Reedy

Thanks
    [quote name='kreedy' post='761509' date='25-Feb-09 09:27']It will come and work that way so how do I get it to work using the icons??[/quote]
    Hi Ken, if Word works in its "factory-default" mode (/a switch), it indicates that there is a problem with one of your customizations or add-ins. The very long "systematic approach" post takes you through a number of steps to try to track down and eliminate the problem. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to guess which step is the one that will resolve the issue, so there is no quick shortcut to taking it one step at a time.

Edit: There is alternate way to view and manage COM Add-ins. I do not have Word 2000 close at hand, but you could these steps:

Tools > Customize (or right-click on a blank area of the menu and choose Customize)
    Commands tab
    Tools category
    Drag "COM Add-Ins..." to a blank area of menu or toolbar for quick access
    Close out of the Customize dialog