New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am new to trying some advanced things in Word so please bear with me.

I have a document that has 8 pages. At the top of each page is the date. Is there a way to make a change to the date once and have it propogate across the document?

Further, is there a way to print the document then have word increment the date by one and reprint the document?

To further explain: I have an 8 page document that are time sheets. Each page has the date at the top. I'd like to change the date on the first page and have all the pages update. Then I'd like to tell Word to print a weeks worth of documents by entering the date to start and telling it to print the document, update the date fields by one, and then print the new document, and to do that 5 times (for the whole week)

Any help for a n00b?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

If you place the date in the page header, it will automatically be displayed and printed at the top of each page, and you only have to change it once if you want a different date on all pages.

Thanks
    [quote name='originalsteve' post='761038' date='24-Feb-09 10:32']Further, is there a way to print the document then have word increment the date by one and reprint the document?

To further explain: I have an 8 page document that are time sheets. Each page has the date at the top. I'd like to change the date on the first page and have all the pages update. Then I'd like to tell Word to print a weeks worth of documents by entering the date to start and telling it to print the document, update the date fields by one, and then print the new document, and to do that 5 times (for the whole week)[/quote]
    The short answer is, yes, this is possible. The longer answer is, it would take some time to implement.

As an alternative to hard coding the date, you can use a field code. In addition to such fields as the current date or the file name, you can refer to document properties and hidden document variables. If you were writing a little program to print a document 5 times with a series of dates, incrementing a document property or document variable between printouts would be a convenient way to update the date throughout the document, assuming you insert field codes into your document that refer to that property/variable.

Which version of Word are you using? In Word 2000-2003, you can quickly get to the custom document properties from the File menu, and you can quickly insert field codes using Insert>Field. In Word 2007, it might take a little more work to get at these features.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Word 2007

[quote name='jscher2000' post='761122' date='24-Feb-09 13:27']The short answer is, yes, this is possible. The longer answer is, it would take some time to implement.

As an alternative to hard coding the date, you can use a field code. In addition to such fields as the current date or the file name, you can refer to document properties and hidden document variables. If you were writing a little program to print a document 5 times with a series of dates, incrementing a document property or document variable between printouts would be a convenient way to update the date throughout the document, assuming you insert field codes into your document that refer to that property/variable.

Which version of Word are you using? In Word 2000-2003, you can quickly get to the custom document properties from the File menu, and you can quickly insert field codes using Insert>Field. In Word 2007, it might take a little more work to get at these features.[/quote]