New Lounger
    Thanks
    Help!

A long time 35mm buff, I went all digtal last year and am editing on Vista Home Premium.

I shoot a mix of stills and digtal video which I had organzied into individual folders by event.
    The results were quite good : nice transitions between stills and video.

I shoot heavily and the list of individual event folders was quite long: 25+ events.

For 2009 I decided to switch to 12 monthly folders (Jan-Dec) and attach sub folders by event.

For some stupid reason I decided to go back and reorganize my 2008 photos as 12 monthly folders. I then either copied and pasted or dragged and dropped events into their specific monthly folders.

To my horror 2 things happened: the "smooth transition" between still pictures was gone to the point there were sometimes "ghosts" of the previous picture sitting 2-3 seconds under the new pic and ( if the videos copied at all, the pictures were "jerky" and the voice-to-video sync was totally off.

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?
    And can I do anything to fix this without deleting everything and starting from scratch (20+ hours work - sob!)

Next problem: In case of having to start from scratch: I burned what I had to use a a template for the second coming. The pictures transferred, but none of the video. Should I be using another burning program such as Arcsoft DVD Slideshow or Proshow Gold?

Notes:
    As a true baby-boomer Alpha-male: I immediately blamed the wife for downloading too many internet computer games and clogging the memory. She deleted the games, but that didn't help.
    And, yes, I am more of a computer "nerd" than a "geek". My boss once described my keyboarding skills as "painful to watch".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Canuk52' post='761102' date='24-Feb-09 15:04'][/quote]

Are you using the same software to view the pics & videos? What is it? Is there any new software running at the same time?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' date='24-Feb-2009 16:11' post='761112']
    [quote name='Canuk52' post='761102' date='24-Feb-09 15:04']

Are you using the same software to view the pics & videos? What is it? Is there any new software running at the same time?

Thanks for responding Joe.
    -No other software other than Vista was in use.
    -And no new software was running. MSN messenger was the only other program running.

I think I may be a victim of the multi-reproduction nemesis: too many duplications degrade the original quality.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Canuk52' post='763157' date='03-Mar-2009 12:46'][/quote]

If you are using Windows Photo Gallery you ought to give Photo Gallery - Windows Live a shot. The Windows Live suite of programs replace the similarly named programs that came with Vista.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you and your wife have different user accounts, and if so did you use the same account both times?

If you keep them to yourself then they will be in, say, C:\Users\My User Account\Pictures and if your wife has a set of her own they will be in C:\Users\My Wife's User Account\Pictures (or in both cases 'My Pictures', if XP). If you are logged on as the wrong user, then you might get lost.

If you want them accessible from either account and in a shared folder, thereby saving storage space, then you can save them to C:\Users\Public\Pictures. This assumes that you intend to use this exclusively for originals; things become complicated when you want to edit something. The same applies to Music: you can have a single Public folder for all music and let users make up their own playlists from it. I had better amend those suggestions to say that you can put such things in any folder to which all users have access. The default will be C:\Users\Your User Account\Pictures (or music), to which most other users will not have access.