3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a contact from some company, with all the address, front desk phone, generic FAX, web page address, etc. already typed in. I meet another person from that same company.

How do I make a new contact for the new person, without having to type all that redundant stuff in again?

(For example,

* I thought opening, changing the name, and person-specific details like phone extension, cell phone, etc., then Save, but it replaces the old contact rather than making a new one with new name

* There doesn't seem to be a way to make a new contact based on old (a-la template), the MS help describes procedures that cannot be folloed

)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Jim, I think you have Outlook 2003. (New Board does not prompt you to say.)

A Contact record that is opened in its own window does have a File > Save As option to create a duplicate contact which you then can edit. If that options is not visible, perhaps you have those menus that hide options until you float your mouse over the expander? (I hate those.)

If you are editing a "card" in the Address Book, your choices may be much more limited. I haven't looked at that interface much in recent years.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Piffle! Yes, I do have 2003. I totally missed the Save As menu choice (it must've been in the scotoma/blind spot, and/or: too many choices, too many choices...). Can't blame MS for this, other than not providing even more and more and more choices, like right-click "new contact based on...", or File|"New Contact based on...", or right-drag" "new contact based on...", or ? (many possibilities).

Thank you much for being more perceptive than my half-blind self!

[quote name='jscher2000' post='761316' date='24-Feb-09 21:11']Jim, I think you have Outlook 2003. (New Board does not prompt you to say.)

A Contact record that is opened in its own window does have a File > Save As option to create a duplicate contact which you then can edit. If that options is not visible, perhaps you have those menus that hide options until you float your mouse over the expander? (I hate those.)

If you are editing a "card" in the Address Book, your choices may be much more limited. I haven't looked at that interface much in recent years.[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='JIMbythebay' post='761298' date='24-Feb-09 20:27']I have a contact from some company, with all the address, front desk phone, generic FAX, web page address, etc. already typed in. I meet another person from that same company.

How do I make a new contact for the new person, without having to type all that redundant stuff in again?

(For example,

* I thought opening, changing the name, and person-specific details like phone extension, cell phone, etc., then Save, but it replaces the old contact rather than making a new one with new name

* There doesn't seem to be a way to make a new contact based on old (a-la template), the MS help describes procedures that cannot be folloed

)

Thanks![/quote]

Open the existing contact, and click on Save and New from Same Company" That will bring up a new contact sheet with all of the pertinent company information already there. You can then enter the e-mail etc. that you need. Click Save and Close now to both. and you will have both
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='762221' date='27-Feb-2009 07:41']Open the existing contact, and click on Save and New from Same Company" That will bring up a new contact sheet with all of the pertinent company information already there. You can then enter the e-mail etc. that you need. Click Save and Close now to both. and you will have both[/quote]

On my system: Open the existing contact, choose Actions (menu), "New Contact Form Same Company". It will pop a new contact with name and e-mail blank, but other details intact. Type new name and e-mail, Save and Close.

Thanks!