Thread: Tab Stop

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want the tdate control to have the focus after I press OK from the message box. Instead the next control in the tab order gets the focus after I press OK. Am I missing something in my code?
    Private Sub TDate_AfterUpdate()
    If [tdate] < Date - 30 Then
    MsgBox "Date is not between today's date and 1 month ago", vbInformation
    Cancel = True
    Me.tdate.Value = Null
    Me.tdate.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
    Else
    If [tdate] > Date Then
    MsgBox "Date is in the Future"
    Me.tdate.SetFocus
    Cancel = True
    Me.tdate.Value = Null
    Exit Sub
    End If
    End If
    End Sub
    Thanks for looking.
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Cancel is not an argument in the After Update event procedure. You should use the Before Update procedure instead:

Private Sub TDate_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

Just setting Cancel to True is sufficient to leave the focus on the TDate control, you shouldn't use SetFocus.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761443' date='25-Feb-09 12:01']Cancel is not an argument in the After Update event procedure. You should use the Before Update procedure instead:

Private Sub TDate_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

Just setting Cancel to True is sufficient to leave the focus on the TDate control, you shouldn't use SetFocus.[/quote]
    Ok, that is better, but it would not allow me to set the control to null. I get an error stating that macro is preventing Access from saving the data in the field.
    I tried .undo but that didn't clear the field either. Is there another way to clear the control?
    Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can't change the value of a control in its Before Update event. I'd simply remove the line that sets the value to Null, and leave it to the user to correct (or clear) the value.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761476' date='25-Feb-09 12:22']You can't change the value of a control in its Before Update event. I'd simply remove the line that sets the value to Null, and leave it to the user to correct (or clear) the value.[/quote]
    OK. Thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Since you're incorrigible, I thought you might still harbor a secret urge to set the control's value to Null.

One possible (more complicated) approach that might work for you would be to define a form-level variable (at the top of the form module), like this:
    [pre]Dim fRefocusOnTDate As Boolean[/pre]
    Then, in the TDate_AfterUpdate event, if the date's no good, (1) show the MsgBox, (2) set TDate to Null, and also (3) add this line:
    [pre]fRefocusOnTDate = True[/pre]
    Then, in the GotFocus event of whatever control follows TDate in the tab order, put the following:
    [pre]If fRefocusOnTDate = True Then
    fRefocusOnTDate = False
    Me!TDate.SetFocus
    End If[/pre]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I printed it out so I can take a look at it and try it later.
    And YES I am still incorrigible. LOL

Thanks
    As a follow-up, note that my approach leads to a less-than-perfect result if the AfterUpdate event is triggered by the user clicking on another control (other than the next control in the tab series) -- rather than hitting the Enter or Tab key or clicking on the next-tab-stop control. In that case your message will still display and the value of TDate will still be set to Null, but the focus won't revert back to TDate. (Also: in that scenario the focus will jump to TDate the next time the user does anything to put the focus on the next-tab-stop control.)

To fix this, you could take the code for the GotFocus event of the next-tab-stop control and also add it to the GotFocus event of all the other controls on the form (other than TDate).