Thread: Excel to TXT

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a spreadsheet that needs to be coverted to .txt format for importing into an imaging system administration file.

When I save as as .txt format, the text is not lined up. It needs to be the same....

Not sure why it is not lining up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Which option in the "Save As" dropdown list did you select when saving the worksheet as a text file?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    When you export as text, it exports as tab (or comma) delimited. Things will not naturally line up!

Try this:

Select the data
    Press down the SHIFT key and click on EDIT.
    CHoose the option copy as picture.

This will place an image on the clipboard that you can paste into another program.
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761482' date='25-Feb-09 17:37']Which option in the "Save As" dropdown list did you select when saving the worksheet as a text file?[/quote]

I have tried all the options.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rudi' post='761484' date='25-Feb-09 17:37']When you export as text, it exports as tab (or comma) delimited. Things will not naturally line up!

Try this:

Select the data
    Press down the SHIFT key and click on EDIT.
    CHoose the option copy as picture.

This will place an image on the clipboard that you can paste into another program.[/quote]

It can not be an image...the list contains all the users that will have access to this imaging system.
    I can create some code to import the list...if it is txt and lines up exactly...to import the names in this new system so I do not have to enter them one at a time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The default export to text creates a tab-delimited file. If you select "Formatted text (space delimited) (.prn)", Excel will create a file with fixed-width columns, filled out by spaces; I think that's what you need. You have to make sure that the columns are wide enough in Excel to fit the data. If the columns are too narrow, data will be cut off.

Note: "fixed width" is only displayed correctly if you use a fixed-width font such as Courier New.