Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to extend my skills in Access Queries.

I have some data as follows:

AIDX String
    1 a
    1 m
    1 z
    1 w
    1 i
    2 a
    2 z
    3 q

The output is:

1 a, m, z, w, i
    2 a, z
    3 q

Now I can do this easily in VB. Can I do with with an aggregate and no VB? Or is the closest I can get is using "Group By" with a VB function to build the string?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You do need VBA, but you could use a user-defined VBA function in a query. I have attached such a function in a text file to Post 301393.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761579' date='25-Feb-2009 16:25']You do need VBA, but you could use a user-defined VBA function in a query. I have attached such a function in a text file to Post 301393.[/quote]

Do you need to loop through the rows or can you work with the Groups. For example if I do a total on Group By, can I do a function on a Group By? Or do I have to supply the code to loop through the records?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The function in the attachment to the post I referred to handles the looping for you.

If you have a Totals query that groups by AIDX, you can create a calculated column like this:

StringList: Concat("NameOfTable", "StringField", "AIDX=" & [AIDX])

where NameOfTable is the name of the table containing the data and StringField is the name of the field whose values you want to concatenate.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='763422' date='04-Mar-2009 15:14']The function in the attachment to the post I referred to handles the looping for you.

If you have a Totals query that groups by AIDX, you can create a calculated column like this:

StringList: Concat("NameOfTable", "StringField", "AIDX=" & [AIDX])

where NameOfTable is the name of the table containing the data and StringField is the name of the field whose values you want to concatenate.[/quote]

I was playing around with the group by and it seemed like it just wanted to work with it one row at a time, so no advantage over just looping through a recordset that is set up with a couple of fields in an order by.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wejones' post='763452' date='04-Mar-2009 22:13']I was playing around with the group by and it seemed like it just wanted to work with it one row at a time, so no advantage over just looping through a recordset that is set up with a couple of fields in an order by.[/quote]
    Sorry, I don't understand your remark. If you wish, you can post a stripped down copy of your database. See post 401925 for instructions.