View Poll Results: Should guests be able to view Loungers' profiles?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 17.24%
  • No

18 62.07%
  • I don't care

6 20.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a test, when I signed out, I tried viewing other user's profiles. I was successful. With other boards, at least those that I frequent, a non-registered user (guest) cannot see a registered user's profile. Is this a feature with the Lounge's new software?
    Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Let's hear your opinions...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It does not bother me. Even if the profile views were limited to registered users, anybody can register so anybody can still access the information.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    My view is very similar to Tony's.

I have very limited information in my control panel that has very limited information about me anyway however I will respect the decisons of the other guys in here.
    Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I think share and share alike. If you are logged in, you can view profiles and have your profile viewed. If not logged in, you can't be viewed, so I think you should not view. Is that not pretty standard in forums? It's the same with the who's online feature, if you choose to not be seen, then I think you should not have the option to see.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761599' date='25-Feb-09 17:07']Let's hear your opinions...[/quote]

First off, I did cast a vote. Thanks for setting up the poll. It will be interesting to see how many vote and in which direction.

I guess my thinking is that perhaps too much personal tombstone information is available these days (e.g. Facebook) and subject to capture by those involved with identify theft. I don't think I am being paranoid, but there again, perhaps I am. Regardless, I've changed my profile to eliminate very personal things like birthday!

Now, on to other matters like trying to find the spell-checker add-on for Firefox.
    Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bob Archell' post='761617' date='25-Feb-09 22:48']Now, on to other matters like trying to find the spell-checker add-on for Firefox. [/quote]
    See Using the spell checker from the Mozilla knowledge base. You need to ensure you have a dictionary installed for spell checking to work.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I voted "no" because I do care about this issue. If I want to fill in some details about myself I don't want non-members to be able to see it - only members of the Lounge should have the privilege to access certain areas of our "place".

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [attachment=82389:Guests.GIF]

Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Quarantine' post='761606' date='25-Feb-09 14:21']It does not bother me. Even if the profile views were limited to registered users, anybody can register so anybody can still access the information.[/quote]

I originally voted "don't care" for pretty much the same reason. I only post the information I'm willing to let the whole world see. However, Nathan also had a good point: if you're not willing to register (or want to browse anonymously), perhaps it is only fair that you not be able to see others' profile information.

I'm happy to let my "do not care" vote stand, but after consideration I find myself leaning a bit toward "No."
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bob Archell' post='761583' date='25-Feb-09 21:36'][/quote]
    I voted Yes, but now I have thought about it a bit more, I am think that maybe i should have voted No. If only to stop the automated tools around the web from gleaning yet more information that they can join together to produce a whole that is much greater than all the parts.

It's not the people browsing that I worry about, it's the robots

Thanks
    The new profiles also contain various third party and relationship data, such as who visited and who's a friend. It would be preferable to restrict access to this information as well. It's true that requiring a logon is a mild restriction, especially in an age of throw-away email addresses, but as Stuart notes, it is helpful in reducing automated data collection.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Although the number of votes isn't large, a majority is against. Combined with the thoughts expressed in the replies, I have decided to disable guests' viewing of member profiles.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761900' date='26-Feb-09 13:09']Although the number of votes isn't large, a majority is against. Combined with the thoughts expressed in the replies, I have decided to disable guests' viewing of member profiles.
    Thanks to all who contributed.[/quote]

Thank you Hans!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761900' date='26-Feb-09 18:09']Although the number of votes isn't large, a majority is against. Combined with the thoughts expressed in the replies, I have decided to disable guests' viewing of member profiles.[/quote]
    The Precautionary Principle in operation. Bien-ly fait!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast