4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [attachment=82437:numbered...tproblem.png]Hi

Something one of our user's pointed out. If a block of text (say two paras) are selected and then the numbering icon clicked on the toolbar, the selected paras turn to *Heading Level 1*. Also, it changes the actual Heading 1 indentation etc. It happens on all docs using our template. It *doesn't* happen on Normal.dot - so obviously it must be something to do with our tempalte (some sort of style setting perhaps) but I can't figure it out. I hope somebody can point me the right direction. This is really frustrating.

Screenshots of original and update doc attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That's difficult to say without seeing the template.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='761854' date='26-Feb-09 11:12'][attachment=82437:numbered...tproblem.png]Hi

Something one of our user's pointed out. If a block of text (say two paras) are selected and then the numbering icon clicked on the toolbar, the selected paras turn to *Heading Level 1*. Also, it changes the actual Heading 1 indentation etc. It happens on all docs using our template. It *doesn't* happen on Normal.dot - so obviously it must be something to do with our tempalte (some sort of style setting perhaps) but I can't figure it out. I hope somebody can point me the right direction. This is really frustrating.

Screenshots of original and update doc attached.[/quote]
    You must be using W2007. I don't think I've seen the indenting you describe, but I have seen that if you place the cursor in a body text paragraph level and click a numbering scheme icon, the paragraph will become heading 1 (or numbering level 1) for that scheme. If you click a scheme when the cursor is in one of the headings styles (or, I would guess, any style that is linked to a numbering level), the numbering format (numbers, letters, bullets, and such) will change to the format for its numbering level. What your users are seeing fits the behavior I've seen.

The suggested way to apply, reapply, or change a numbering scheme is to place the cursor in the first paragraph style that is linked to numbering level 1 (such as heading 1) and then click the scheme you want. Regular text should then not be disturbed.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761860' date='26-Feb-09 16:33']That's difficult to say without seeing the template.[/quote]

Hans, I have now attached the template - called 'Document.dot'. I have cut out most things (including macros etc). I have also found out it goes wrong when the paragraph after Heading 1 is selected & then numberinf icon cllicked. Once it goes wrong it remains wrong.

Perhaps, you guys may have a better idea of why it is going wrong.

BTW: We are using *Word2003* - wouldn't want to touch Word2007 with a barge pole.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='762215' date='27-Feb-09 16:27'][/quote]
    I can reproduce the problem in Word 2002. You should avoid the Numbering button on the toolbar (and the Bullets button too - best to remove them from the toolbar).
    The problem doesn't occur if you apply numbering through Format | Bullets and Numbering...
    Even better is not to use that dialog either, but to create and apply a style that has numbering.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans. May be we should remove the buttons from the toolbar but that is for the next update of the template.

We have already created two styles - Bullet and Number for just this use. Perhaps, I can somehow use the standard numbering & bullet buttons to use our style. Is this even possible?
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV' post='762222 View Post
    I can reproduce the problem in Word 2002. You should avoid the Numbering button on the toolbar (and the Bullets button too - best to remove them from the toolbar).
    The problem doesn't occur if you apply numbering through Format | Bullets and Numbering...
    Even better is not to use that dialog either, but to create and apply a style that has numbering.
    [/quote]

Hans

One question comes to mind this beautiful Monday morning - why does it fail in our template but is OK in Normal.dot? Our template was built on Normal.dot.

I will certainly look into removing the 'Numbering & Bullets' from the toolbar but it would be nice to know why it goes wrong!
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='762752' date='02-Mar-2009 11:37']... why does it fail in our template but is OK in Normal.dot? Our template was built on Normal.dot.[/quote]
    I can reproduce the problem in any document in Word 2002 and 2003, regardless of the template the document is based on: if I select some paragraphs immediately below a numbered Heading paragraph, the Heading 1 style (including the numbering) is applied to the selected paragraphs.

Why? I have no idea.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='762758' date='02-Mar-2009 10:48']I can reproduce the problem in any document in Word 2002 and 2003, regardless of the template the document is based on: if I select some paragraphs immediately below a numbered Heading paragraph, the Heading 1 style (including the numbering) is applied to the selected paragraphs.

Why? I have no idea. [/quote]

Thanks Hans for a straightforward answer.
    Thanks.
    Robie