New Lounger
    Thanks

"File Error: Data may be lost" msg opening wkbook (Excel 97)

I am opening an Excel 97 Workbook (780 KB - no external links, has macros and a password on Open) and have received the following error message:
    "File Error: Data may have been lost".

The workbook opens up, but a Dr Watson error closes down Excel immediately. This has happened on other Excel files (mostly much larger files containing external links).

No joy from TechNet or Microsoft site on the message. Has anyone experienced this before? Are there any solutions?

Thanks very much

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: "File Error: Data may be lost" msg opening wkbook (Excel 97)

I've had something like this. In one case I was able to recover the data by opening the file up in Internet Explorer. It opened an instance of Excel within IE- but did not crash.

Otherwise, you might need to try to open with another product which opens Excel files- perhaps one of the mail programs, or even Star Office.

I've had periodic trouble with file corruption. When I've had it, under Excel 2000 when I save as HTML, all macros, formatting etc are preserved. I can then open the HTML with Excel, and save as a new Worksheet, which appears to be clear.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried combinations of these?

- Disable macro's
    - first set calculation to manual
    - press control-page-up or control-pagedown immediately after the opening has started

The last trick sometimes helps if the active sheet has a corruption.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another suggestion: make sure you are not opening the file (or that a macro is not opening any files) from a floppy directly. I and my colleagues have destroyed files by trying to open directly from the floppy. The file never fully opens, and the copy on the floppy becomes corrupted. I think this happens because Excel tries to create temporary files on teh floppy, there is not enough room left, and Excel doesn't recover from the situation properly. Last time I saw this happen was on Excel 97.

Instead, copy from the floppy to hard drive, then open from the hard drive.

I suppose in extreme cases, if your hard drive is full, the same thing could happen when opening from the hard drive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

AFAIK Temp files are only created during the saving process: XL saves to a temp file, checks if it is OK, then deletes the original, then renames the temp file. Sometimes virusscanners interfere in this process, disrupting the save.

For the rest you are absolutely right, Excel (and the other Office programs) is notoriously unreliable in handling files directly from floppy disk. NEVER do that, unless one likes losing work <g>.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association