Thanks
    My MS mouse of eleven years finally died yesterday. (May it rest in its pieces)

So off to my favorite store I went to buy a new mouse.

I could not find an MS mouse like the one I had, but found a Logitech mouse that was less than twelve dollars.

I brought it home and plugged it in and looked through the Logitech box for a CD to install any needed software, but could not find one.

The Logitech mouse works great, so I guess it needs no software.

One thing that does concern me is the software from the old MS mouse that is still in my PC.

Does it need to be removed?

The MS mouse was not a plug and play mouse.

The buttons on it had to be programed to do what I decided I wanted to do with them.
    Catz

Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='761922' date='26-Feb-09 14:09']One thing that does concern me is the software from the old MS mouse that is still in my PC.
    Does it need to be removed?[/quote]
    Probably best to remove it. This software usually loads at start up and there is no need for that anymore.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    Thanks John.

Will unload it as soon as I find out where the software from the MS mouse is hiding.
    Catz

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='pauliez' post='761922' date='26-Feb-09 13:09'][/quote]

You also may want to check at the Logitech site for software. I recently bought a Logitech mouse for my wife's notebook and it did not come with any software. I had to go to Logitech > Mice + Pointers find the correct mouse and download the software.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought a new Logitech mouse a year or two ago and downloaded / installed the Logitech driver for it, only to find that it didn't work very well (the mouse pointer would start moving by itself, it would suddenly jump to a corner of the screen, etc.). I uninstalled the Logitech driver and have been using the mouse with the native Windows XP driver ever since, without serious problems.

Thanks
    I've always had the suspicion that an MS mouse was just a Logitech in MS clothing.
    Nothing to back up that but it did seem that one would work with the others drivers and or vice versa? JMHO.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='762017' date='26-Feb-09 15:42'][/quote]

A Microsoft mouse will not use a Logitech driver and a Logitech mouse will not use the Microsoft Intellipoint driver. With the each driver UI you need to select the device type so the driver can know what features are available.

Each can use the default mouse driver that comes with a Windows OS. If you look at the driver details in Device Manager you can see what files are being used.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    If you say so, Joe.
    Hmmmmm. as I said, JMHO, but sometimes I get a little cynical.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='762002' date='26-Feb-09 22:13'][snip] I uninstalled the Logitech driver and have been using the mouse with the native Windows XP driver ever since, without serious problems.[/quote]
    I have the same experience as you Hans, sort of.

Two three years ago I bought a new Logitech Laser mouse (that was quite new on the market, in that case it might have been an important factor).

I knew that it would work out of the box with XP, but decided to try the software that came along (SetPoint). In my case I had a CD and there were drivers on their site as well. Now, (if I remember everything correct) as the good little user I am, I thought I better check out the latest drivers at their site. As we all know these types of drivers cover a whole range of pointing devices, it seemed like the latest driver (at the time) didn't recognize my mouse, and the one on the CD worked better.

One of them, don't remember if it was the CD, older, version even recognized it with model number not even sold in my part of the world. And I didn't get all buttons/functions working with the different drivers at the time. Calls to the support, sometimes handled by the staff at Ireland etc. etc. and they acknowledged the problem with my new mouse and their drivers.

Since then I haven't bothered installing some mouse software and it also goes with my "less is more"-philosophy. I miss out on some of the functions with this; this is by no means a mouse cluttered with buttons, 3 plus one back and one forward, and all work perfectly. But I will not get a tilt wheel (hor. scrolling is still there with wheel button), I will not be able to re-program the buttons and lastly I don't get some kind of extra "Zoom".

Oh boy, not much to miss; there is almost no application around where I can't zoom with the mouse wheel and the native XP drivers; spreadsheets, image viewers, advanced photo editors etc. either with the help of Ctrl-key or some other. And re-program? When it's working all right? So I save my start-up process and RAM from that software.

But the mouse itself, the hardware, is great!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='762002' date='26-Feb-09 16:13']I bought a new Logitech mouse a year or two ago and downloaded / installed the Logitech driver for it, only to find that it didn't work very well (the mouse pointer would start moving by itself, it would suddenly jump to a corner of the screen, etc.). I uninstalled the Logitech driver and have been using the mouse with the native Windows XP driver ever since, without serious problems.[/quote]
    The mouse for my iMac would also "jump" to the corners and there didn't seem to be anything I could do about it....<trying to find drivers for Macs can be difficult especially for a nubie Mac user>. So I did solve the problem finally, by using a small white plastic cutting board for my mouse pad. I haven't had a problem with it since! I don't think the laser implements like being used on mouse pads with backgrounds that have many different color patterns on them. My

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='762058' date='26-Feb-09 17:28'][/quote]

Logitech has been known to have problematic drivers. It seems as though they either work really well for your devices or just plain don't work. Fortunately, for mice there is the default OS driver which at least will let you use the device.

Guess I've been lucky as I've installed the Logitech Set Point software on three different notebooks since late last summer and all have worked fine.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='762039' date='26-Feb-09 16:30'][/quote]

I understand. I just didn't want the OP to get the idea that just any driver should work.

Joe
    Joe