5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would it be possible to have a Topic (sub-forum?) linked to Lounge Matters where requests for new features can be posted?

Let me start a possible thread with this suggestion...

One of the boards I visit is maintained by my ISP. Their board has a feature wherein if a user provides a helpful response, there is no need for anyone to post another message that just says thanks. There is an link at the end of a given message that shows:
    [attachment=82441:TP1.gif]
    Clicking on that link results in a posting just below the helpful message that shows:
    [attachment=82442:TP2.gif]
    In the IP.Board, a user's profile is shown on the left of the screen. On the Sympatico board, the user's profile is displayed on the right and includes a thanks count, like so:
    [attachment=82443:TP3.gif]

Anyway, just a suggestion. Feel free to kill the idea... I won't be insulted.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Bob

Thanks
    Bob

I'm also familiar with the Thanks button on other boards.

I feel it can produce unnecessary competitiveness, and I've even seen people with (in their signatures) something like "Please, o please, click on the Thanks button if I have helped in even the teeniest, tiniest, way!" (OK, I'm exaggerating - but not much).

I think people who have given good answers to a problem obtain a sense of inner satisfaction that they have helped their Fellow Man (which, of course, embraces Woman... And Badgers).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would rather see a "Solved" buttom!

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='761940' date='26-Feb-09 14:39']I would rather see a "Solved" buttom!
    [/quote]
    That's a good idea. I've visited boards where the Subject line has the word "Resolved" which didn't come from editing the subject line but rather the type of button you mention.

Now see, the idea of a New Requests (sub-forum) is taking hold. Already two suggestions!!!
    Regards,
    Bob

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='761940' date='26-Feb-09 14:39']I would rather see a "Solved" button!
    [/quote]

I think that a "Solved" button would introduce problems and "competition". On the new Dell forums (dysfunctional to say the least), there are several requests every day for a Liaison to correct posts which have incorrectly been marked as "solved", add "solved" to a particular post which hasn't been marked as such ........ etc. I really don't see a need for introducing this.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I sort of see the pro's of both suggestions, but...... Clicking a Thanks button seems a little clinical to me, and lacks the personal touch that makes this place so special. Just my 2pennies worth.

There are millions of impersonal forums out there, it would be nice if we could refrain from swinging too much that way.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='761940' date='26-Feb-09 19:39'][/quote]
    One one forum where I moderate there is a "This answer solved my problem" link on every reply. A lot of the time this has been selected even when it is clear the question has not been solved. In theory it's a good idea but it is often misused or selected in error. I do not see any competition problems with it on that forum, just a lot of threads incorrectly shown as solved.

There is also a "report post" button on that forum. I am convinced some people just like pressing buttons, I frequently see lots or reported posts where nothing is wrong with them. Just curious but how is the "report post" option working so far in this forum?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Quarantine' post='761964' date='26-Feb-09 12:05'][/quote]

The "report post" will send a message to the MODs and/or Admin's as needed. It is to report a "Issue" with post.

I.e., does NOT comply with Forums rules, needs something fixed and etc.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Quarantine' post='761964' date='26-Feb-09 12:05']There is also a "report post" button on that forum. I am convinced some people just like pressing buttons, I frequently see lots or reported posts where nothing is wrong with them. Just curious but how is the "report post" option working so far in this forum?[/quote]
    I've nearly hit the "report post" button a couple of times whilst reaching for the "top" button instead. If a user does click the "report post" button what happens? Are we taken to a form to report why the post is being reported, or does the post just get flagged as a problem?
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you click Report, you're taken to a form where you can enter your complaint (or whatever you wanted to report), then submit it. So if you click Report by mistake, you can simply go back to the previous page.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='761997' date='26-Feb-09 13:07']If you click Report, you're taken to a form where you can enter your complaint (or whatever you wanted to report), then submit it. So if you click Report by mistake, you can simply go back to the previous page.[/quote]

Thanks, that's good to know.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My suggestion/request is to have the name of the board in the email notification rather than a generic "Your daily news topic." But, grateful for whatever I get.

Thanks.