Thread: Mark as Read

Thanks
    Not a big issue, but on the main index, there is the option to "mark the posts in this forum as read" for each individual forum. Clicking on that brings up a confirmation window (probably a good idea)

However at the bottom of the main index, there is the option to mark ALL posts as read for the entire board. There is no warning or confirmation required here however. In the "old" Lounge, we did have to confirm this operation.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see an option (for Admins) to enforce a confirmation dialog...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='761967' date='26-Feb-09 15:12']Not a big issue, but on the main index, there is the option to "mark the posts in this forum as read" for each individual forum. Clicking on that brings up a confirmation window (probably a good idea)

However at the bottom of the main index, there is the option to mark ALL posts as read for the entire board. There is no warning or confirmation required here however. In the "old" Lounge, we did have to confirm this operation.[/quote]

I also found that if the "mark All posts as read" is done before checking "View New Posts", there won't be any new posts to see. In the "old lounge" the 1 hr, 2 hr., etc. choices to see recent posts was a very handy feature that wasn't affected by the "mark All Posts as read" feature. So now I am very careful about marking all things read until I am fairly satisfied I'm done reading those items of interest! Maybe there is another way to spot recent posts besides through Assistant or View New Posts?

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='761994' date='26-Feb-09 22:04'][snip] Maybe there is another way to spot recent posts besides through Assistant or View New Posts?[/quote]
    I agree with you, and you seem to have found your way around the new Lounge with flying colours. I often used the 1, 2, 6 hour search as a complement to tracked forums. But we have some other ways here, some are, in my mind, great.

Anyhow, in your case, how about "Today's active topics" (found on Main page in the last block "Board Statistics")? You should be able to use that, if the View New Posts is "blank", though "Today" means the last 24 hours' active topics.

http://www.wopr.com/index.php?act=search&CODE=getactive

The Assistant's "New Posts" pages are the same as View New Posts in the header, as you know. It's "Posts since your last visit".

http://www.wopr.com/index.php?act=Search&CODE=getnew

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='762024' date='26-Feb-09 16:57']Anyhow, in your case, how about "Today's active topics" (found on Main page in the last block "Board Statistics")? You should be able to use that, if the View New Posts is "blank", though "Today" means the last 24 hours' active topics.[/quote]
    Argus - Thanks! I did view the option "Today's active topics" early in my exploration but I confess I forgot about it! And yes, even if I've cleared everything, I can still go through this list and find items I may have missed! Excellent and I'll add it to my "check the Lounge posts" arsenal!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Thanks
    I suspect I am pushing my luck here, but could the option to "Mark forum as read and return to board index" actually return you to the view you had before you went into that forum? Currently it always returns you to the very top of the list of forums, so you have to scroll down to where you were - mildly tedious if you are working your way down the list of forums you're interested in!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='762125' date='27-Feb-09 00:50']I suspect I am pushing my luck here, but could the option to "Mark forum as read and return to board index" actually return you to the view you had before you went into that forum? Currently it always returns you to the very top of the list of forums, so you have to scroll down to where you were - mildly tedious if you are working your way down the list of forums you're interested in! [/quote]
    I suspect the information about where you were is not stored when you navigate away from the index. I guess as a logical matter, you must have at least been able to see the name of the board you just left. That might not be enough information to do something truly accurate, but it might get you into the ballpark. Query whether most users would want that or would prefer to start at the top again?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='762125' date='27-Feb-09 03:50'][/quote]
    You'll probably hate me for this, but just in case the question can't be answered with a quick-fix from an Admin...

You could always "collapse" all the sub-sections except for the one you're working in. That would at least make the main index (probably) a one screen affair.

[attachment=82462:2009_02_27_052850.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images