New Lounger
    Thanks
    I really do not like Word 2007 - everything is different and more complicated!!
    We use a lot of clauses saved as "files" to add into documents as required. Where I would insert a file at the required insertion point, 2007 now "embeds" the file with a section break so it doesn't follow on where I "insert". (I only know this because I have "Cross Eyes" installed which at least shows me the codes that Word has taken it upon itself to do .. ex Word Perfect lover) I have tried copying the clause and pasting but then I have had trouble with formatting. I have always used "format paint" from earlier in the document to copy say an outline level when inserting a new clause but now this is not updating the numbering in sequence with the prior number and is copying the number from the earlier clause that I used. Any suggestions? What should my "Word Options" be set to so that "format paint" will update the inserted clause to that of the clause used to "format paint" including numbering?

Thanks
    [quote name='Shez' post='762104' date='26-Feb-09 20:05']Where I would insert a file at the required insertion point, 2007 now "embeds" the file with a section break so it doesn't follow on where I "insert". (I only know this because I have "Cross Eyes" installed which at least shows me the codes that Word has taken it upon itself to do .. ex Word Perfect lover)[/quote]
    I think Word 2007's Insert > Object > Text of file is supposed to work the same as Word 2003's Insert > File. When I use that, in "Draft" view where section breaks are visible, I don't see anything unusual.

After inserting, do you get any little "smart tag" menus letting you choose options for the inserted text?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks - I see the problem now - I was not inserting "text from file" but "object". My screen does not show these icons in full with the wording - so I was not getting the full selection.

Any assistance with format paint - I don't want to retain the para number from the para I select to format from - just the formatting?

Thanks
    [quote name='Shez' post='762111' date='26-Feb-09 20:51']Any assistance with format paint - I don't want to retain the para number from the para I select to format from - just the formatting?[/quote]
    I'm not very familiar with that function. Hopefully someone else can tackle this question.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Shez' post='762104' date='27-Feb-09 04:05']...
    I have always used "format paint" from earlier in the document to copy say an outline level when inserting a new clause but now this is not updating the numbering in sequence with the prior number and is copying the number from the earlier clause that I used.
    ...[/quote]
    Instead of using Format Paint it would be better to define a style with the formatting you want and then apply that style. This would provide more consistent results.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks also - I never knew that 'insert text from file' existed. How would I write code for a macro that would give me choices (like checkboxes) that I could select then click 'GO' and have the macro execute the insert text from file using a filename based on the checkbox choice? That way the user could use the same macro as many times as needed through the document inserting appropriate text.

[quote name='jscher2000' post='762108' date='26-Feb-2009 21:34']I think Word 2007's Insert > Object > Text of file is supposed to work the same as Word 2003's Insert > File. When I use that, in "Draft" view where section breaks are visible, I don't see anything unusual.

After inserting, do you get any little "smart tag" menus letting you choose options for the inserted text?[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='Don_Sadler' post='800311' date='28-Oct-2009 07:54']How would I write code for a macro that would give me choices (like checkboxes) that I could select then click 'GO' and have the macro execute the insert text from file using a filename based on the checkbox choice?[/quote]
    For the first half of your question, search this board and the VBA board for userform which is the object you will need to create and program. For the action, since that method is new to me, I think I would start by using the macro recorder and see what kind of code is created. Sometimes it's very useful, sometimes not. (I'm on Word 2003 at the moment, so I can't try it myself.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Don_Sadler' post='800311' date='29-Oct-2009 01:54']Thanks also - I never knew that 'insert text from file' existed. How would I write code for a macro that would give me choices (like checkboxes) that I could select then click 'GO' and have the macro execute the insert text from file using a filename based on the checkbox choice? That way the user could use the same macro as many times as needed through the document inserting appropriate text.[/quote]
    What you describe would be better done by using the Autotext functionality rather than separate files. In Word 2007 this functionality has changed its name to Quick Parts or Building Blocks. If you do some research on these items then you may find that you don't need macros or separate source files at all.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I originally thought of Autotext but some of the boilerplate text is several pages long and contains images. However, as you say... it changed in 2007 so probably worth another look.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    What you describe would be better done by using the Autotext functionality rather than separate files. In Word 2007 this functionality has changed its name to Quick Parts or Building Blocks. If you do some research on these items then you may find that you don't need macros or separate source files at all.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    For the first half of your question, search this board and the VBA board for userform which is the object you will need to create and program. For the action, since that method is new to me, I think I would start by using the macro recorder and see what kind of code is created. Sometimes it's very useful, sometimes not. (I'm on Word 2003 at the moment, so I can't try it myself.)
    Thanks, I will look up userform. I guess I always thought that with forms, the final result shows all the form controls and boxes, etc... that's why I was thinking macros.. a lot to learn. Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Sadler View Post
    I originally thought of Autotext but some of the boilerplate text is several pages long and contains images. However, as you say... it changed in 2007 so probably worth another look.
    Autotext has always been able to store multiple pages including images. The new building blocks only really adds another way of categorising the autotexts and storing them in additional locations. The quick parts are simply one of the new categories that takes less mouse clicks to find them.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Thanks, I will look up userform. I guess I always thought that with forms, the final result shows all the form controls and boxes, etc... that's why I was thinking macros.
    I should have written UserForm, as it is a term of art in VBA, and not related to Word forms with FormFields in the document itself. But I'm sure you've figured that out by now.

Thanks
    I like AutoText and use it lavishly. However, with this particular scenario, I think I might go with document files, too. The two things I look at are 1) is it necessary to update the individual chunks and who will be doing that; and 2) how many chunks are there?

Regarding the first, how comfortable are you editing AutoText? I have a client who would be calling me every six months to update their AutoText if I had used it. I wanted to put the power in their hands, so I used something they understood -- documents. I could have trained them how to deal with AutoText, but they would have forgotten between bi-annual editing sessions.

Regarding the second, managing hundreds of AutoText entries is a pain. Managing two dozen, not so much.

The greatest up-side of AutoText is that everything is neatly corraled in the same place. You can use VBA with AutoText just as nicely as with external documents. And 2007's Building Blocks do some tricks that mere AutoText doesn't and might make using it more appealing. You might peruse Stephanie Krieger's book "Advanced Microsoft Office Documents" which talks about Quick Parts, Building Blocks and Content Controls at length.

At any rate, good luck with your decision, whichever way you go with it!

Best,
    Kim