Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I've found a way into the lounge via an old laptop that picks up on an 'open' wifi network we have here.

Jezza told me he'd posted my problems in the Tracker area but I can't see anything there.

At the moment I'm using IE 6 sp1. I'll try FF3 in a minute. but is the wifi is a bit flakey so don't be surprised if I don't make another post here fairly quickly.

Ken

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='762231' date='27-Feb-09 15:58']Hi,

I've found a way into the lounge via an old laptop that picks up on an 'open' wifi network we have here.

Jezza told me he'd posted my problems in the Tracker area but I can't see anything there.

At the moment I'm using IE 6 sp1. I'll try FF3 in a minute. but is the wifi is a bit flakey so don't be surprised if I don't make another post here fairly quickly.

Ken[/quote]

FF3 works.

My access problems are definietly something to do with the way the Lounge is serving pages to our firewall.

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='762235' date='27-Feb-09 17:02'][/quote]
    Hi Ken,

Glad you found a way to get here. I don't think we can change the way pages are served, your employer's firewall seems to be overly restrictive. We have a pretty strict one where I work, but I don't have problems getting to the new Lounge from the office.

The Tracker is only available to WMVPs, Moderators and Admins.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='762235' date='27-Feb-09 16:02'][/quote]

Hello Ken, what a pleasure to see you here.

After Jezza told us about your problems I was worried we'd never see you again!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unusualy I've got a spare 10 mins on a Sat afternoon to see what happens when I use my old Win 98 dial-up PC at home...

I'm glad to have found a way in from work, even though it is via a wireless link that seems to drop if I just move my head to far to the left, or someone crosses a line in the office . I may not be able to contribute much by way of IT knowledge but I do enjoy reading many of the boards. I would have missed my daily does of the Lounge.

While our firewall is very tight this is the first time I've found a web site that I want to reach that I can't reach so I will try and find out more about why our proxy is so picky. However, our IT people are very busy dealing with a major business transformation at the moment so unless I can grab a few words with one of them during a lunch break and they are not too grumpy I don't hold out much hope. Can you give me any details on the type of compression the Lounge is using to serve pages? That might pique IT's curiosity.

Ken

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you don't get rid of me that easily!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='762428' date='28-Feb-09 16:24'][/quote]
    Did Jezza pass on Jefferson Scher's suggestion to you?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again & sorry for the delay...

Yes Jezza did pass on the idea about tweaking network.http.accept-encoding and this post is being made via my desktop PC after a weeks worth of trial and error and Google has lead me to changing the FF default of 'gzip, deflate' to a catch all '*'.

I'd be very grateful if someone could let me know precisely which type of encoding the Lounge is using so I can be a bit more exact in the value I use in the config file.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='764310' date='09-Mar-2009 02:25']I'd be very grateful if someone could let me know precisely which type of encoding the Lounge is using so I can be a bit more exact in the value I use in the config file.[/quote]
    I'm not sure whether this helps, but in the Firebug extension to Firefox, it shows this page was sent with the following headers (irrelevant stuff omitted):

Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0
    Expires: 0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Content-Encoding: gzip
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Content-Type: text/html;charset=iso-8859-1

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='764478' date='09-Mar-2009 20:58']I'm not sure whether this helps, but in the Firebug extension to Firefox, it shows this page was sent with the following headers (irrelevant stuff omitted):

Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0
    Expires: 0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Content-Encoding: gzip
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Content-Type: text/html;charset=iso-8859-1[/quote]

Thank you.

So it seems the sever is using a known / standard form of encoding (gzip) and that again points the finger at our firewall. However! While I was still locked out, a Google search turned up something about a similar problem on another forum. I did ask Jezza to pass it on but I'm not sure if he did or not:
    re Jefferson's "network.http.accept-encoding". My FF3 also has that
    line with a default of "gzip,deflate". I've started searching for more
    info about this setting via Google. The top hit is to Mozillazine and implied I
    could add another variable called 'compress' but sticking that on the
    end (to make my value into gzip,deflate,compress) doesn't help. Another
    hit took me to a blog
    (here:http://blog.1911census.co.uk/2009/01...ncoding-error/)
    where the a similar problem seems to have occurred recently. If I
    follow the responses correctly then the third comment may be pertinent:

> think I now know what’s causing this. The explanation is very
    > complicated, but the fix is simple:
    >
    > Response.AppendHeader(”Vary”, “Accept-Encoding”);
    >
    > If the ASP scripts on 1911census choose to serve compressed or
    > uncompressed versions depending on the client’s Accept-Encoding
    > header, they *SHOULD* send a Vary header in the response,
    > _regardless_of_which_version_was_actually_served_. This is documented
    > in RFC 2616 section 14.44:
    >
    > “An HTTP/1.1 server SHOULD include a Vary header field with any cacheable response that is subject to server-driven negotiation.”
    >
    > If this is not done, some proxy servers may serve the uncompressed
    > version of the page to clients who are capable of receiving
    > compressed versions. Furthermore, in rare circumstances the proxy
    > server may even tell the client that the data is compressed when it
    > is not. Firefox, since version 3 I think, with default settings,
    > shows the aforementioned ‘Content Encoding Error’ message when the
    > declared encoding does not match the received data.
    >
    > This would only affect a small number of visitors, who happen to be
    > behind proxy servers that behave in a certain way. (Proxy servers are
    > used by some ISPs, and often on shared internet connections eg. at
    > work/universities/libraries.)

I am behind a proxy so maybe I'm one of the "rare circumstances" mentioned in the penultimate paragraph?
    I realise you are all volunteers and I seem to be in a minority of one so the chances of it getting sorted are close to zero. Especially since I can now get at the Lounge from my desktop by setting my config file entry for 'accept-encoding' to a catch all of '*'. Unfortunately that workaround is not very practical as doing this breaks other sites, notably Google Maps, so I have to switch between the two settings.

One more thought, the static cutover page (http://www.wopr.com/cutover.php/) renders correctly without problem.

Ken

Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='764559' date='10-Mar-2009 03:54']Especially since I can now get at the Lounge from my desktop by setting my config file entry for 'accept-encoding' to a catch all of '*'. Unfortunately that workaround is not very practical as doing this breaks other sites, notably Google Maps, so I have to switch between the two settings.[/quote]
    Try changing the network.http.accept-encoding property to only gzip, or only deflate, or even something nonsensical such as blarp, on the theory that the Lounge then will not compress/encrypt pages. Does that help?

If you do find a workable setting, rather than tweak the setting, you could close and re-open Firefox in a new profile. If that sounds slightly less impractical, you would:

First, create a new Firefox profile for the Lounge. To create a blank profile, see Managing profiles @ SuMo. Edit the name to something logical for easy reference.

Then copy the entire contents from the folder of your "real" profile into the folder of your new profile. You now have a separate profile on which to experiment with Lounge settings. Unfortunately, going forward, they will need to be maintained separately with respect to non-shared components, such as extensions and bookmarks.

Finally, to go to the Lounge, start up in the profile manager. If you set Firefox to prompt you every time, then links in other applications may not open correctly. (Assuming Firefox is your default browser.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='766645' date='21-Mar-2009 23:43'][/quote]
    Editing the line to be just 'gzip' or just 'deflate' doesn't help, both options give the content encoding error message. Using nonsense (this reply is brought to you via 'blarp') does let me in but Google Maps are still broken with that setting.

I may yet try the idea of having a separate Lounge Profile but at the moment it's easier for me to edit the 'accept-encoding' line in the config editor before I visit it the Lounge and reset it after I leave.

Not ideal but workable.

Thanks,

Ken

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Returning to this issue, which I still have to work around to get here...

I may be wrong but I think this site uses the same underlying software as The Lounge. If so then there must be a way for The Lounge to change the way it serves pages because I don't have to resort to editing the network.http.accept-encoding line in my FF config file to access that site. The pages it serves come through our firewall no problem.

stuck
    (seems more appropriate to sign off with my username this time)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have passed on your question to our support admins. Don't get your hopes up high though.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It feels like there's only the second half of the discussion here.

How did this all start? What happens when the Lounge doesn't work? Any other sites with problems?

(And for kicks: could you change that one config setting to "identity"? That's the term meaning "serve the page as-is, without compression".)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast