5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using a 250GB external USB hard drive for backups for some time, but the data on my PC got so large I needed a larger backup solution. And if seemed to me that a Full Backup was taking too long. So yesterday I bought a 1TB Seagate internal SATA drive and installed it, and switched last night's Full Backup to it.

Had about 130GB to backup, and it took 5 hours, using EMC Retrospect. Is this about what I should expect, or is something wrong?

Thanks
    My calculations make that about 7.4 MB/s, which doesn't seem particularly fast, on the face of it.

My ROBOCOPY of changes to an external hard drive copies 900 MB in 86 seconds, or 10 MB/s.
    And incremental backup using Dantz Retrospect Express copies 750 MB in about 4 minutes, or 31 MB/s.
    In both cases, there will be a fair amount of work done deciding what not to copy, of course.

So no firm conclusion!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='762426' date='28-Feb-2009 10:16']Had about 130GB to backup, and it took 5 hours, using EMC Retrospect.[/quote]
    I use Shadow Protect and when I did my full backup image of three drives (in one continuous job) to my Seagate Free Agent external USB yesterday, the total elapsed time was 50 minutes for about 71 gig. In my case the three "drives" are on two separate internal SATA drives and one is definitely faster than the other.

Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='762426' date='28-Feb-2009 15:16'].... a 1TB Seagate internal SATA drive ....[/quote]
    Did you get the drive recognised in your BIOS? I had a drive installed for months that was painfully slow until it dawned on me that just because it showed up in Windows didn't mean it was fully 'installed'.
    Running setup and installing it at boot time changed my life

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='765153' date='12-Mar-2009 17:50']Did you get the drive recognised in your BIOS? ... <snip> ...[/quote]
    I didn't know that. I too thought that it was automatic. I'd better check the second SATA I added over a year ago.

On another note. I hesitated to say this for it's been quite some time ago, but when I was last employed we used Retrospect for all the server and workstation backups. One of our IT guys was in charge but I remember him grousing that Retrospect was pretty slow. I don't know if JJ is open to trying something else.

JJ ???