2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ... or if that can't be done, how can a macro be tweaked to change a range formula to accomplish the same thing?

I've tried help myself for a while with this but can't -- could anyone give me a steer?

I am using range formulas on a "View" sheet to summon any one of 32 data blocks from a seperate data sheet. The latter consists of named and identically sized ranges, e.g.

data_1
    data_2

up to

data_32.

Let's say each one is a 10 X 10 cell square..

If on the View sheet I want to summon data from the 5th data set, for example, on the View sheet I write the range formula

{=data_5}

across a 10 x 10 cell range.

It works, but it makes summoning a new data set, and scrolling through many of them, very clumsy and slow -- if I want to change so that I view the 6th data set, I have to select the 10X10 range and use search and replace to change the "5" in the range formula to a "6", or I have to delete the existing range formula and type in a new one (i.e. {=data_6} )

Is there a way to have the array formula reference a number which is set by the user in a seperate cell? I tried something which failed -- specifically, I typed "6" in cell a1 of the View sheet -- i.e. NOT part of the range with the range formula -- and then changed the range formula to

{=data_(a1)}

but no good, error messages in every cell.

Can this be done somehow?

If not: another fix would be a macro which reads from cell a1, selects the range with the formula to be changed, deletes the existing formula, and writes a new range formula which uses the number in cell a1 , for example, if there's a "6" in cell a1, the formula the macro would write {=data_6}.

I've tried recording a macro to do this but I can't seem to make VBA understand what's the value in cell a1. Here's how I tried it -- the macro will

-- select the value in cell a1 -- I actually select this from within the formula bar, when cell a1 is selected
    -- copy this to the clipboard (Edit/ Copy)
    -- select the range which will contain the range formula
    -- write:

=data_

-- after the underscore, paste the value from the clipboard (Edit/ Paste) so that the formula reads

=data_6

-- enter it as a range formula (control + shift+enter) to make it

{=data_6}

The problem I'm having is that the macro doesn't remember the value in cell a1.

Can anyone help with either solution?

I'd be grateful for any help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use the INDIRECT function for this:
    Enter the number (1, 2, ..., 32) in a cell, say in A1.
    Select the 10x10 range where you want the formula.
    Enter the formula

=INDIRECT("data_"&A1)

Confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter to make it an array formula.
    Now you only have to change the number in A1 to display a different named range.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans, thanks. You won't believe how much this helps!