Thanks
    (Yes, I know - but I HATE the look and feel of IE7, and this problem started before 7 even came out)

I have a problem with one specific website - probably more than just this one, but this one I go to often, so it drives me nuts. (It is a very popular website that debunks urban legends)

Every time I click on the search text area to do a search, I get a blank popup that steals the focus from the main IE window; it doesn't matter whether I close it, minimize it or bring the main page into focus again - my cursor is no longer in the search box, so I have to click there again .... repeat process, ad nauseam.
    Needless to say, this makes the website virtually useless to me, since I can never get to the point where I can initiate a search of any kind. And it isn't just the search box that triggers the popup - no matter where I click on the page, I get the same popup. I have IE set to suppress popups, too, so that's not it.

I have no idea what I can do to get rid of this annoying blank popup - I get the impression that IE is trying to suppress it, but can only suppress the text and not the window itself.

(Windows XP Pro, SP3)
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    [quote name='djmoore' post='762529' date='28-Feb-2009 15:23']Every time I click on the search text area to do a search, I get a blank popup that steals the focus from the main IE window; it doesn't matter whether I close it, minimize it or bring the main page into focus again - my cursor is no longer in the search box, so I have to click there again .... repeat process, ad nauseam.[/quote]
    It sounds like some rogue element (possibly from a defective ad script?) is covering the entire page and intercepting mouse clicks. Difficult to diagnose without being able to re-create the problem. Difficult to re-create the problem without visiting the page...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='djmoore' post='762529' date='28-Feb-2009 17:23'][/quote]

Have you tried emtpying you IE cache (temporary internet files)? If you means snopes try going to snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, Joe - I don't know what the difference was between my link and yours, but after draining my cache and trying your link, I am finally able to navigate their website with no annoying popups.

Just another example of WOPR magic.

Now I guess I can resume answering all those emails from that friend who sends out a viral, and then afterward asks me to "check it out" for him. No doubt we all have at least one friend like that.
    Have a cookie -

Don