Thanks
    Is there no function to collapse the Attachment Editor plus the Post Options,etc, information?

For the greater part of the time they occupy space needlessly, requiring a scroll down to find the [Post New Topic]/[Add Reply]/[Submit Modified Post] and [Preview] buttons...

Hope this is a Board Option! Thanks
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='762570' date='01-Mar-2009 09:53']Hope this is a Board Option! Thanks[/quote]
    Sorry, not as far as I know.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='762570' date='01-Mar-2009 03:53']Is there no function to collapse the Attachment Editor plus the Post Options,etc, information?

For the greater part of the time they occupy space needlessly, requiring a scroll down to find the [Post New Topic]/[Add Reply]/[Submit Modified Post] and [Preview] buttons...

Hope this is a Board Option! Thanks[/quote]

I generally use my 'End' and 'Home' keys - brings you right to the devil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='762590' date='01-Mar-2009 07:04']I generally use my 'End' and 'Home' keys <snip>[/quote]
    Ya beat me to it except I was going to say that I've already gotten used to using the page down/page up keys and it only takes a short flick of my right pinkie finger.

Thanks
    I agree that both suggestions offered are useful bypasses, but these buttons really ought to be right there in front of you on the screen as you type your response.

Thinks: perhaps I should write to IP.board to offer it as a suggestion?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='762597' date='01-Mar-2009 05:07']I agree that both suggestions offered are useful bypasses, but these buttons really ought to be right there in front of you on the screen as you type your response[/quote]
    I support having a duplicate Preview button immediately adjacent to the textarea/iframe where we compose posts (e.g., next to the BB Code Help button). However, this may be easier said than done...

Added: The "Add Reply" (submit post) button supports a keyboard shortcut: its accesskey is s. Browsers differ in how they support an accesskey. For example, in Firefox3 on Windows, pressing Alt+Shift+s will immediately submit the post. (To test without actually making a post, completely clear the text from the compose area.) Other browsers may use the Alt key alone, or the Mac equivalent.

It would be handy to have a similar shortcut for the "Preview Post" button for those who like keyboard shortcuts and hate scrolling. Maybe that is more achievable?

Added: For those unfamiliar with them, here is a Wikipedia article on Access keys.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='762622' date='01-Mar-2009 20:10']I support having a duplicate Preview button immediately adjacent to the textarea/iframe where we compose posts <snip>

Added: The "Add Reply" (submit post) button supports a keyboard shortcut: its accesskey is s. Browsers differ in how they support an accesskey. For example, in Firefox3 on Windows, pressing Alt+Shift+s will immediately submit the post. (To test without actually making a post, completely clear the text from the compose area.) Other browsers may use the Alt key alone, or the Mac equivalent.

It would be handy to have a similar shortcut for the "Preview Post" button for those who like keyboard shortcuts and hate scrolling. Maybe that is more achievable?
    <snip>[/quote]
    I agree with you Jefferson et al; for instance, if one could toggle the Attachment Editor and the Post Options pane (similar to the Side Panel) then that would be a good solution, but buttons such as Add Reply and Preview ought to be close to where the action is, that is the editor (it is obvious to everyone that most of what is written in the editor eventually gets posted, but not every post has an attachment and not every post needs a Post Icon).

For me the Home/End/PageDown etc. doesn't work, since if I am inside the text editor box, they do nothing but move the cursor. And if I have to select the mouse and do a "dismiss click" outside the text editor box to change focus, I can just as well scroll with the mouse no matter where the cursor and the focus are. Thus nothing gained.

However, I have found one way that works well with my modus operandi:
    • To preview: press Tab two times and then Enter. If anything need to be changed when in Post Preview, press Tab once and you are in the text editor. To preview again, repeat the first mentioned: Tab two times and then Enter.
    • To add reply (submit the post): press Tab once and then Enter. If you did a preview before, and are looking at it, you have to press Tab two times since the first takes you to the editor as mentioned above, and the second press moves the focus to the Add Reply button.

Works well in Firefox. Now remember: two times for preview, one for post, otherwise it perhaps could get embarrassing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='762876' date='02-Mar-2009 10:07']Works well in Firefox. Now remember: two times for preview, one for post, otherwise it perhaps could get embarrassing. [/quote]
    Ahh, the perils of muscle memory. I am sooo guilty of automatically tabbing through what should have been the proper sequence and hitting enter, only to discover I'd either confused the correct set of keystrokes for a particular site, or something had changed slightly, and I was now posting when I thought I'd be previewing. (Why is it I never do the opposite, and preview when I intend to post?)
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love