New Lounger
    Thanks

Calendar Control (Word 2000)

I would like to know some general information about Calender objects.

I have included a dialog box with a template. One of the required pieces of information is to enter a date. Although manually entering the date works fine, I decided that it might be nice to display a calendar that I can choose from.
    I discovered that my machine did not have anything available to do this. I took the MSCAL.OCX from a colleagues machine and used regsvr32 to register it. It now works fine as part of my dialog box.
    When I have tried to run the macro on another of my machines I had to repeat the exercise as the OCX file again did not exist.

So, my questions concern the OCX file. Am I incorrect in believing that OCX is the predecessor of DLL? Is there a DLL version of MSCAL? What is the prerequisite for having these objects included as part of your system set up to begin with? Do I need to go through the registration process for anyone who wants to use it? Is there perhaps something (more modern?) that I should be using?

Thanks for any advice

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Calendar Control (Word 2000)

About ActiveX controls:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/components/activex/intro.asp>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....tivex/intro.asp</A>

Hope it helps!

edited by BAM to include URL tags

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link, however all it has done is indicate to me just how much I don't know.

The Overview starts:

"It usually supports many more interfaces in order to offer functionality, but all additional interfaces can be viewed as optional and, as such, a container should not rely on any additional interfaces being supported. By not specifying additional interfaces that a control must support, a control can efficiently target a particular area of functionality without having to support particular interfaces to qualify as a control. "

-well that's rather beyond me.

I have however used this link as a springboard into the ocean of info that MS provides online but somehow it is all pitched well above or below my current knowledge. ie either "Just use them" or "Just write them"

Thanks anyway.

Thanks

I have recently been working with the DateTimePicker control, which lives in MSCOMCT2.OCX. As far as I can tell, this comes with Microsoft Office Developer and Visual Basic, and is not part of standard Windows. You can read my distribution strategy <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=vb&Number=70072>here</A>. The setup runs automatically, including the registration, but it's a very large .CAB file, so it's best to place it on a shared network drive and invoke it from there than to tote it around on a disk or clog up the e-mail server. Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have found MSCOMCT2.OCX on one of my machines and can only assume that is comes with Visio Professional.

I have added it to my dialog box and it works a treat - far less clunky than MSCAL.OCX

So yes your post has been a help and I am learning a lot - thanks

FYI: KB article Q297381 has a link to the download as the file(s) is no longer included with Microsoft Office XP Developer