New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I have a sheet with emloyee names on who have completed training sessions in the past. I have a second sheet where names are entered when they start training.
    I am linking the new names onto the old training sheet and need a "warning" when a name appears which has already been entered.
    This is problably easier to explain on the attached sheet (which is a very much shortened version)

I would be grateful if someone could advise me on the best way of doing this

Many thanks

Sarah
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sarahf' post='762773' date='02-Mar-2009 12:33'][/quote]
    I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but perhaps the attached version does what you want.
    I modified the existing formulas slightly, and used a combination of formulas and conditional formatting in column D

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Hans, that is just what i was after, apologies for the confused explanation!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans

I have a complication in that the formula is working on some lines and not others.

Have attached workbook once again with an example of a name which is not matching

your help much appreciated

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a space after "BARNES" in cell B7 but not in B6. Hence they are different.
    I'd check on the full name, by the way (column C or D), not on the last name only.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sarahf' post='762815' date='02-Mar-2009 15:16']I have a complication in that the formula is working on some lines and not others.[/quote]
    The name is not matching because it is DIFFERENT. One name is "Ian Barnes" and the other is "IAN BARNES ". If you need to do a compare that is case insensitive then you could try using VLookup.

Try the formula =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(D7,D$56,1)),"","Already Entered") in cell E7 of your latest workbook and see if that does what you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi

I can see what you mean about the additional space between names and this is causing a problem. I cant understand why its doing this as the full names are all created using the same formula.

I have attached 3 of the names which are not working. Do you have any idea why an extra space is appearing? IF the space is taken out of the" " formula, then it works. I am mystified!

Sarah

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Your workbook contains links to 'H:\Excel\[Manpower WHTerm February 200931 ver 1 (2).xls] west.h Sch 1', so we can't check the source. But apparently some of the names on that sheet have a trailing space. I have made the trailing spaces visible in columns C and D in the attached version (cells highlighted in green). Probably a data entry error.

[attachment=82592:Woody_query_2.xls]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there any way of correcting this without re entering all the names? Very frustrating!

Have attached a copy of the link if thats any help

Thanks
    [quote name='sarahf' post='763018' date='03-Mar-2009 06:36']Is there any way of correcting this without re entering all the names? Very frustrating![/quote]

In E15 you can use something like:
    =trim(IF(D15="","",C15&" "&D15))

to remove leading and trailing spaces as well as extra spaces

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sarahf' post='763018' date='03-Mar-2009 12:36']Is there any way of correcting this without re entering all the names? Very frustrating!

Have attached a copy of the link if thats any help[/quote]
    You could run the following macro while the sheet with the problem data is open:
    Code:
    Sub Trimcells()
      Dim oCell As Range
      Application.Cursor = xlWait
      For Each oCell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells
    	If Application.IsText(oCell) And Not oCell.HasFormula Then
    	  oCell = Trim(oCell)
    	End If
      Next oCell
      Application.Cursor = xlDefault
    End Sub

New Lounger